Assistant Dean for Faculty Affairs
Assistant Dean for Faculty Affairs🔍School of Humanities and Sciences, Stanford, California, United StatesNew📁Administration📅6 days ago Post Date📅88499 Requisition #School/Unit Description: The School of Humanities and Sciences (H&S) is the center of a world-class liberal arts education at Stanford University. H&S encompasses 23 departments—from Art and Art History, English, and History to Economics, Mathematics, and Biology—as well as 23 interdisciplinary programs and a couple dozen centers and institutes. As the university’s largest school, H&S serves as the foundation of a Stanford undergraduate education no matter which discipline students pursue as a major. Graduate students work alongside world-renowned faculty to pursue and shape foundational research that leads to breakthroughs and discoveries that shed new light on the past, influence the present, and shape the future. Together, faculty and students in H&S engage in inspirational teaching, learning, and research every day.Position Summary: Reporting to the Senior Associate Dean for Finance and Administration and with a dotted line to the Dean, the Assistant Dean for Faculty Affairs will be responsible for faculty affairs operations within the School of Humanities and Sciences. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- The position provides strategic leadership for faculty affairs - an essential and broad function, serving the School’s large and diverse faculty. The position oversees all administrative and operational functions related to the faculty, academic staff-teaching, and other teaching titles at H&S; duties include appointment, reappointment and promotion processes, leaves, retirement, recall, and managing faculty departure procedures for the School.Provides advice and supports the Senior Associate Deans with the comprehensive combined planning for billets and resources. Leads the annual search authorization process in close partnership with Dean’s Office units (Finance, Planning and Facilities). Communicates policy and process to departments and provides SAD’s with metrics for planning.
- Partners with Faculty/Staff Housing (FSH) Office in reviewing housing recommendations for H&S faculty; negotiates and monitors housing allowances, recommends and develops housing strategies for the Deans, etc. Provides reporting to Deans and Planning team as needed. May independently, or in collaboration with the Provost Office and the Office of General Counsel, guide faculty supervisors in the interpretation and implementation of employee relations policies, procedures, and programs. Confers with Dean’s Office units and central offices around new policies or laws that affect faculty to assure they are implemented and make updates to current Stanford policies and processes to support compliance. Broadly communicates with departments and programs around policy changes that directly affect faculty.
- As the faculty affairs expert for the School, provides guidance and resources to departments in need of assistance around faculty affairs. Engages in departmental visits, DFO/PM meeting presentations, or town halls, to assure appropriate outreach. Designs and distributes faculty-related communication and information through a variety of media, including the development and maintenance of online resources. Collaborate with H&S senior leadership team (facilities, finance, IT, HR, Planning, etc.) in setting goals and objectives to meet school initiatives and vision.
- Direct staff and provide leadership to achieve goals and vision of the organization and the day-to-day operations. Responsible for hiring and retaining staff, career coaching, personal development for direct reports and accountable for the performance of employees. May independently or in collaboration with human resources managers, guide faculty supervisors in the interpretation and implementation of human resources policies, procedures and programs.Develop business plans and infrastructure to support research and teaching. Provide analysis and review of multi-year plans, including providing alternative methods for achieving goals when necessary. Influence faculty leadership on specific recommendations for current operation and for future development of the organization and lead process improvement. Interpret, implement and ensure compliance with university academic and administrative policies and procedures within an operating unit. Recommend new internal policies, guidelines and procedures. Oversee and/or manage the finances across all sources for the annual budget cycle, including developing, monitoring, analyzing forecasting and reporting.Manage and coordinate grants and contracts for the department. Ensure compliance with institutional and external requirements.Represent the unit’s business and academic operations within the organization. May represent the organization to external constituencies.
- Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience in administrative and financial management, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills including conflict resolution.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong financial expertise in accounting, budget planning and financial forecasting.
- Strong expertise in grants and contract administration.
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong expertise in business and management computer applications and databases.
- Strong knowledge of industry standards and/or regulatory requirements.
- Subject matter expertise for area(s) of responsibility.
- Ability to multi-task and manage deadlines.
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4132
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: K
- Requisition ID: 88499