Financial Planning & Analysis Systems Analyst
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-17
The University of Virginia’s Vice President for Finance seek a Financial Planning & Analysis Systems Analyst (FP&A Systems Analyst) to join their Business Intelligence team.
UVA is focusing on a robust and effective financial management approach enabled by a fully integrated cloud-based technology solution for the University, intending to leverage industry best practices, develop a future state business model, and enable the utilization of modern tools.
Our goal is to reduce administrative burden, make compliance with regulations and policies easier and more consistent, strengthen our risk management framework, and allow the University community to better steward resources in support of its mission. At every turn, we seek to answer the key question: “How can we, through this transformation, make UVA a better university -- more preeminent in research and teaching, more deeply engaged in service, more accessible and affordable?”
Our team is seeking mission-driven individuals who are flexible, team-oriented, and highly motivated to support UVA through the transformation and system changes.
The mission of the Vice President for Finance is as follows:
- We build and maintain the financial framework that allows us to steward University resources in a way that is accurate, effective, and transparent.
- We share trustworthy financial expertise, information, solutions, and insight with our stakeholders.
- We enable our stakeholders (students, educators, researchers, and administrators) to be their best in a complex educational and healthcare environment.
The FP&A Systems Analyst will be responsible for managing and maximizing the functionality of our budgeting and planning tool, Adaptive Planning and its integration with our general ledger platform, Workday Financials, in support of the UVA FP&A team and the University financial community. This role will proactively assist critical business strategies by participating in the design and implementation of the new system, managing the maintenance of the system post-implementation and continuous improvement of the system in collaboration with FP&A and University leaders. This role will additionally act as a partner to the Workday support teams to ensure seamless integration with the ERP and reporting environments.
The successful candidate must possess the strongest analytical, conceptual, creative, and interpersonal skills. This position will require both technical systems skills as well as an understanding of University financial and budget information and processes to maximize the capabilities of the Adaptive Planning tool. The role requires resourcefulness, an ability to handle sensitive information, and comfort making decisions amid ambiguity.
- Coordinate with the FP&A team and UVA end-users to analyze system needs, suggest process improvements, document requirements, and use cases, and implement changes.
- Develop and maintain complex financial models, standard operational and management KPIs, reports and dashboards as well as assisting FP&A team and users with ad hoc report development and analysis.
- Manage business rules impacting calculations, sheets, assumptions, allocations, and metadata built within Adaptive Planning for the purposes of facilitating the annual budgeting exercise and recurring forecasts.
- Plan, review, and revise configurations and customizations to meet evolving business and operational needs including development of scenario planning and allocation models.
- Provide technical and analytical assistance during the budget/planning cycle, quarterly Board reporting deadlines, and fiscal year-end as required.
- Manage data integrations into Adaptive Planning from Workday Financials, Workday HCM and other source systems as appropriate, serve as steward and primary point of contact for business and IT teams.
- Monitor deployment of additional cloud-based functionality/upgrades release by Workday/Adaptive, complete, and coordinate testing and communication to key stakeholders.
- Develop, document, and implement policies, procedures, guidelines, and best practices to ensure data integrity and standardized end user processes.
- Identify and implement process improvements to reduce complexity, improve transparency, and increase access to and knowledge of financial data and information.
- Ongoing Adaptive Planning system administration including troubleshooting intermittent data and/or break/fix issues; rolling over versions, templates, and reports as part of the quarterly forecast and annual budgeting process(es); and maintaining user permissions and role access.
- Analyze business requirements and translate them into effective & efficient application configuration.
- Perform additional tasks related to the administration of Adaptive Planning as needed.
- Assist with expanding utilization of Adaptive Planning features and functionality at the Enterprise and Business Unit level.
- 3+ years of experience in business intelligence or system administration is required.
- 2+ years in FP&A or financial operations is preferred.
- Bachelor's Degree, or equivalent degree in Business, IT, Finance or Accounting or relevant field is required. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Financial experience in a higher education institution is preferred.
- Hands on experience working with OLAP cubes and specifically with budgeting/planning software such as Adaptive Planning, Hyperion, or Axiom preferred.
- Excellent data analysis, problem-solving, Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Superior communication skills and the ability to collaborate with all levels of an organization.
- Team player that embraces change and thrives in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent project and time management skills to balance priorities and duties.
- Analytical, creative thinker who can focus on the details without losing sight of the big picture.
- Demonstrated capacity for discretion and for handling confidential information with care.
Diverse and Inclusive Teams is a core value of UVAFinance: We value diversity, equity, inclusivity, and respect. We strive to create a culture where every team member feels included and valued, and where different backgrounds, perspectives, and ideas are celebrated. UVAFinance is committed to the belief that diversity in all its forms is not merely a desirable complement to excellence; it is an essential component of it. The diversity of our team itself, and our team’s commitment to the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion, strengthens our ability to effectively serve staff, faculty, students, suppliers, and the University community. Within UVAFinance, we are taking these efforts seriously, both in terms of our service to the University, the community, and our commitment to our employees.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $75,000 - $90,000 (commensurate with qualifications) with UVA Benefits.
For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Bethany Case, Academic Recruiter. Applicant review will begin February 26. This position will remain open until filled. Please apply through Workday, and search for "Financial Planning & Analysis Systems Analyst". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.