Student Success Specialist
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-16
The University of Virginia seeks a Student Success Specialist within the School of Nursing. In partnership with the Academic Learning Specialist, the Specialist will collaborate with: Director of the BSN Program, other faculty, advisors, the Academic Program Manager, and the Office of Admissions and Student Services staff to support academic success.
Specific Programmatic Support and Guidance:
- In Year 1 provide academic counseling and support to the RN-to-BSN students in both locations (UVA grounds in Charlottesville & Richmond); in Year 2 add in the NOVA cohort; in Year 3 commence with the BSN accelerated student transfer population. Eventually workload target time is proportional to an anticipated 60 RN to BSN student group and 20 TOPS students.
- Assist in the planning and execution of student success programming.
- Contribute to the launch and development of the RVA & NOVA site Assist in the design, training and implementation of hybrid (face to face & online) tutoring program.
- Closely monitors students and works collaboratively with team of faculty and community engagement pathway specialist to identify at-risk situations and opportunities to improve academic success.
- Provide proactive and timely outreach and intervention through a variety of methods to facilitate effective communication.
- Develop and improve the learning experience and success of adult learners, first generation learners and students from underrepresented groups.
- Contributes to the program team and OASS in the coordination of orientation for new students, that includes working with various departments
- Seeks pathways for continuous improvement for self.
- Cooperates with and/or actively participates in committees, work groups, task forces to ensure commitment to the common good, community engaged partnerships, UVA and the School of Nursing policies and processes.
- Must have the ability to work under deadlines, to adapt to changing priorities and needs, to learn new technologies quickly and effectively, and to assume other duties as assigned.
- Advanced Degree with four years of experience.
- Experience in working with adult learners especially on academic topics & skills.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, including the ability to “meet people where they are”.
- Demonstrated knowledge of online, hybrid, Zoom and other learning platforms & approaches including learning management systems (LMS).
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently and with little supervision.
- Application and knowledge of coaching strategies and how to use them in student support.
- Non-judgmental approach to building positive relationships with adult learners from under-represented minority (URM) communities.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment in both the academic and community settings.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, communication and student advocacy skills.
- Understanding of basic relationship-building approaches and best practices for academic success.
- Ability to be flexible, prioritize and organized.
- Ability to use a variety of platforms and programs including Windows, Apple, and/or Microsoft Office products.
- Experience with virtual communication tools (Zoom, Skype, etc.).
- Able to use cloud-based storage (Google Drive, Box, OneDrive) to share and collaborate with others
- Confidence in learning and exploring new technology tools and resources.
- Experience working in a college or university.
- Experience with adult learning intervention programs.
- Experience working within a community-based best practices and environments.
- Experience in building educational networks across multiple system access points.
- Experience in a community academic setting.
- Knowledge of academic success and stressors of adult learners.
- Understanding of adult learning theory.
- Ability to effectively lead difficult conversations with positive resolution.
- Understanding of social media and the various use purposes of the platforms.
Anticipated Hiring range: $59,000 - $62,000
** This is a restricted position, continuation will be dependent on availability of funding and satisfactory performance **
The selected applicant will be required to complete a background check prior to their first day of employment per University policy.
PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search "Find Jobs", and search for "R0022001".
PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, and search for "R0022001"
Please note that ALL documents MUST be uploaded in the CV/Resume box or you can combine them into one PDF.
Complete an application online and attach:
- Cover Letter detailing your interest in this position and highlighting your knowledge, skills, abilities, and experiences in support of student success and excellence through diversity, equity, and inclusion
***Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
This position will remain open until filled.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Rhiannon O'Coin, Senior Recruiter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.