Laboratory Services, Manager, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-16
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The University of Miami Bascom Palmer Eye Institute has an exciting opportunity for a Laboratory Services Manager.
- Manages the daily distribution of cornea, sclera, and research tissue, working to ensure that surgeon’s needs are met and that customer satisfaction is prioritized.
- Directs the processing of all tissue (DSAEK, DMEK, sclera, etc.) in the eye bank, ensuring quality and timely processing. (25%)
- Directs and ensures the completion of donor charts to help expedite tissue eligibility determination and serves as a Medical Director Designee to determine tissue eligibility.
- Works with Technical Director to ensure that the eye bank laboratory runs smoothly, that all required equipment maintenance and environment monitoring is performed, and that all policies procedures are followed.
- Assists Technical Director and Quality Assurance Director with development and implementation of new laboratory policies and procedures.
- Participates in the training and education of eye bank laboratory personnel. Maintains active CEBT certification and serves as an official technical trainer.
- Recovers tissue when needed.
- Participates in training of fellows, funeral directors, and surgeons, as necessary.
- Assists with EBAA and FDA Inspections.
- Bachelors Degree required with course in human anatomy, physiology, and other related sciences. Knowledge of anatomy of the eye..
- Three (3) years of laboratory experience.
- EBAA CEBT Certification.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c107