Medical Assistant, UMHC-Multispecialty
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-16
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The University of Miami UMHC-Multispecialty has an exciting opportunity for a Medical Assistant.
The Medical Assistant (MA) shall perform multi-skilled tasks to assist the medical providers. The MA shall assist patients with healthcare management and clinical procedures. The MA shall prepare patients prior to and post examination, treatment or procedure under the direct supervision and responsibility of a physician. The physician in charge may delegate the tasks to oversee the MA to the Nurse Manager/Nurse Supervisor and/or Charge Nurse of the area.
- Works directly with the Nurse Manager/Nurse Supervisor and/or Charge Nurse to ensure clinic is running smoothly
- Performs patient interviews for chief complaint, medication reconciliation and pertinent history
- Obtains vital signs and patient information for patient’s medical record inclusions
- Prepares treatment room prior and post examination
- Assist medical provider as a chaperone as indicated
- Assist with physical examinations by preparing supplies and handing instruments/materials to the medical provider as directed
- Perform venipunctures and collects routine laboratory specimens as directed by medical practitioner/nursing leaders
- Perform basic first aid
- Performs EKG
- Bladder Scanning
- Ostomy Care
- Simple dressing change (no central line and/or PICC/Midline dressing)
- Performance point of care testing
- Reports observed signs and symptoms, obtained from the patient, to report to the provider
- Assist with patient’s daily care activities
- Able to use and/or perform with medical equipment, post training and demonstrated competency
- Refill medication prescriptions, as ordered by the medical provider, by calling patient’s pharmacy
- Provide patients with basic educational instruction and information regarding examination procedures
- Cleans and sterilizes medical instruments; observes the principles of sterile technique in performing duties
- Documents accurate pertinent information in patient’s electronic medical record
- Restocks patient room
- Screen telephone calls or electronic medical record (EMR) messages and forward to appropriate staff
- Assist staff in emergency care
- Maintains medical supplies compliant, by check for expiration dates and package integrity
- Maintains medical equipment compliant in accordance to manufacture’s and biomedical requirements
- Assists in performing clerical duties such as answering phones, faxing, and coordinating procedures
- Schedules appointments and tests
- Arrange hospital admissions as applicable
- Obtain authorization from insurance company
- Call patients with “No Show”
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Required Medical Assistant certification and graduate from accredited Medical Assistant Program
- Required an active and current BLS provider card by the American Heart Association
- Required Phlebotomy certification
- EKG Certificate
- Prefer One (1) year of relevant work experience
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:h82