The Controller oversees Fiscal Affairs and is responsible for the accounting operations of the University and its component units. This includes maintenance of a system of accounting records according to GAAP, assurance of internal controls to mitigate risk, enhance processes to create efficiencies, field questions and provide support to staff, upper management and the campus community and strive for accurate reporting of complex accounting issues with clean audits.
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Only electronic documents will be accepted. Please complete the on-line application in addition to providing the following required documents. All required documents must be submitted in order for your application to move forward. You may upload documents using Microsoft Word or PDF
- A letter of interest describing specific skills and experiences
- A current rsum
- A list of three professional references (included in the application): Name, Organization, Email address and Telephone
- All offers of employment are contingent upon a favorable background check, which may include social intelligence from a consumer reporting agency.
- Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources (Main Campus, J-115) at 609-652-4384, Monday - Friday between 8:00am - 5:00pm.
- In accordance with the New Jersey First Act P.L. 2011 c.70, effective September 1, 2011, new public employees in certain positions (faculty exempt) are required to obtain New Jersey residency within one (1) year of employment. Applicants must meet the requirements listed.
- Pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crimes Statistics Act (Clery Act), prospective employees may access Stockton’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report (ASFSR) is available at https://www.stockton.edu/police/crime-statistics.html. The ASFSR contains the previous three years of reported Clery Act crime statistics, fire safety information and information regarding campus and personal safety. If you would like a paper copy of the report, please visit the Stockton University Police Department, building 71, 101 Vera King Farris Drive, Galloway Township, NJ, or call 609-652-4390, to request that a copy be mailed to you.
- Stockton University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants, visit; http://www.stockton.edu/affirmative_action. Additionally, pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, Stockton University prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex (i.e., which includes but is not limited to the prohibition of sexual misconduct and relationship violence, including sexual assault and harassment) in all of its educational programs and activities.
- Responsible for the preparation of the University's annual financial statements, including the Statement of Net Assets, Statement of Revenues, Expenses, and Changes in Net Assets, Statement of Cash Flows, MD&A, and all related footnotes; Responsible for planning, coordinating, and facilitating the annual University audit
- Responsible for the preparation of the schedules of Federal and State of New Jersey Expenditures and related footnotes and for planning, coordinating, and facilitating the Uniform Guidance audit; Oversee grants accounting to ensure all expenditure reports are filed timely and accurately; Ensure that expenditures are in compliance with 0MB circulars
- Responsible for the preparation of the Foundation, SASI and NARTP annual financial statements and for the planning, coordinating, and facilitating of the respective annual audits
- Supervision and mentoring of the accounting staff
- Directs payroll accounting functions to ensure that all accounting information is timely and related liabilities are extinguished accordingly and in a timely manner
- Directs the staff responsible for plant fund accounting; recording physical plant (infrastructure, buildings, land improvements, and equipment), their related depreciation and disposals, and bonds payable while ensuring accurate and timely reporting
- Directs cash management to ensure that university bank accounts are reconciled timely and that all necessary accounting entries have been processed on a timely basis
- Oversee general accounting, AP chargebacks, SASI accounting, and central billing for the University
- Evaluate internal controls and develop enhancements
- Responsible for approving petty cash for the University
- Serve as the tax return coordinator for the University and Component Units and oversight for University tax issues and compliance
- Responsible for reviewing all surveys including IPEDS data and reporting for Finance
- Support Stockton University’s diversity commitment and strong student-centered vision and mission
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting (or related field of study) from an accredited institution
- Certified Public Accountant License
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, organization and interpersonal skills
- Proficient with MS Excel, MS Word and experience with general ledger accounting software
- Working knowledge of GAAP, GASB & FASB
- Strong numeracy and analytical skills
- Highly organized and detailed-oriented
- Master’s Degree in related field
- Experience with higher education and/or non-profit organizations
- Experience with Ellucian Banner software