Desktop Support Administrator University Information Services
Desktop Support Administrator University Information Services
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
Desktop Support Administrator - University Information Services
The Desktop Support Administrator provides remote and onsite client computing services and support to the Georgetown University community. The individual works within a team structure designed to meet the specific needs of a targeted user community (defined both by proximity and affinity). As a service team member, the individual is expected to provide a range of technical services including basic to advanced troubleshooting for client computing, software support, enterprise desktop management, mobile device support, networking, telecommunications, and video services. The individual is also expected to build a good working relationship and communication with the user community served. The individual provides remote support via phone and email, but may have to travel to client locations in delivering the services described above.
Supervised by the Senior Project Manager and Technical Lead, the Desktop Support Administrator is an integral part of a support team within the Service Management organization, reporting to the Team Leader in matters involving routine service support and working collaboratively with other technology providers to support customer needs. Primary duties include:
Desktop and Network Support
- Respond, diagnose, resolve, and report user reported technology problems involving computer (hardware and peripherals, O/S configuration, standard client software applications, server access/rights and network connectivity), voice (telecommunications), and video (digital and analogue).
- Support, as appropriate is also provided for specialized end-user software, operating systems and connectivity needs.
- Manages user access to enterprise applications and services, file shares, personnel drives and networked printers.
- Coordinates with appropriate members of Network Computing Services and other information service providers to resolve complex network, core business application, and server-based problems.
- Coordinates hardware warranty support. Consults with vendors and manufactures as needed to resolve complex problems. Provides support in a variety of settings (in-person, remote, classroom).
- The position is expected to be able to resolve 80% of the problems encountered.
Unified Communications Equipment Replacement and Upgrade
- Deliver, install and update new and existing desktop resources and services including voice and data connections, phone sets, video connections, computer workstations, software, local area network accounts and peripherals (printer, scanners, modems etc.).
- Ensures that services delivered are done so in compliance with University standards and policies. Position may recommend customized solutions within the parameters of the Standards and Exceptions guidelines.
- Position provides support to the team leader in planning and executing projects such as replacement cycles, software upgrades, multi-staff moves and other service requests beyond the normal daily routine.
Service Ticket Management
- Document, track and report work through updating the ticketing and work management systems, reports and databases.
- Provide clear and timely information on steps taken to resolve problems and services delivered. Clearly document any specialized needs, skill sets or services provided to user communities with special needs.
- Communicates support issues to Team Leader, in routine group meetings and other avenues as appropriate.
- Coordinates with the Service Management group and Research, Curriculum and Development group to manage end-user education and special needs issues.
Tracking Current Technology and Training
- Stay abreast of current and emerging technologies and service through professional organizations, training, industry publications and communication with peers.
- May develop special skill sets dependent on community served.
- Shares information with other team members and works collaboratively toward building a strong team structure.
- College work or equivalent work experience
- 2-3 years' experience in an IT Help Desk and desktop support environment
- Strong problem solving and diagnostic skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Windows (7 - current)
- Strong working knowledge of Apple OSX (10.10 - current)
- Strong working knowledge of iOS and Android mobile operating systems and devices
- Strong working knowledge of PC and Apple hardware
- Good working knowledge of imaging technologies and virtual machines
- Good working knowledge of networking technologies to support desktop computing
- Good working knowledge of client applications including email and Microsoft Office Suite
- Basic understanding of telecommunications and connectivity options
- Demonstrated ability to stay current with advancing network technology
- Experience in a higher education environment
- Certification in a desktop operating system environment (Windows, Apple, UNIX)
- Networking, security, with some internet/ telecommunications and audio-visual experience
The Desktop Support Administrator is required to carry and use a mobile phone, may be required to work outside normal University business hours, and must respond quickly to emergency or urgent situations.
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Harris-Building/Desktop-Support-Administrator---University-Information-Services_JR09852
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency