Control Room Operating Engineer 1st Class, Central Plant
Control Room Operating Engineer 1st Class, Central Plant
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
Control Room Operating Engineer 1st Class, Central Plant - Georgetown University Planning & Facilities Management
The Control Room Operating Engineer 1st Class, assigned to the Swing Shift, assists in the operation, monitoring and maintenance of Central plant equipment consisting of: three gas/oil fired boilers, standby emergency generator, nine industrial centrifugal chillers and a thermal storage tank system. The Central Plant consists of various equipment types, each requiring different operating sequences and/or repair methods. Plant team members include steam operators, mechanics, electricians, and controls specialists, along with contractors for water treatment, fuel delivery, plant supplies delivery, maintenance, and repair technicians.
Reporting to the Shift Supervisor, the Control Room Operating Engineer 1st Class has duties that include but are not limited to:
- Maintains constant watch over all operating equipment through control room monitoring instrumentation, computer screens, printouts and alarms.
- Responds to campus steam, chilled water, condensate and domestic water distribution system issues.
- Makes changes and adjustments, as required, to ensure that the equipment is performing according to prescribed characteristics for safe and efficient operations which provides steam, chilled water and electrical services on a continuous basis.
- Participates in repair, maintenance and installation of plant equipment.
- Analyses and reviews control room log readings, plant walkdown sheets, boiler and chilled water readings are properly performed by equipment operators. Ensures that corrective action is taken to chemical treatment systems, as required for plant equipment operation.
- Reviews and provide recommendations for updates or supplements to operational manuals, technical manuals and plant procedures.
- Follows established procedures and refers sub-standard conditions to shift supervisor.
- As directed/required, perform the duties of the shift supervisor.
- When substituting for shift supervisor, informs designated University and Medical Center officials of any interruption or restoration of utility services (e.g., steam, chilled water, electricity, domestic water, natural gas or fuel oil).
- In absence of higher supervision, the control room operator has the authority to shut down equipment and call in any personnel required to repair same to maintain or resume utility services.
- High school diploma or GED
- 1st Class DC Steam Engineers License
- CFC certification
- At least five years training or experience in trade practice of steam engineering
- Ability to operate intuitively from previous knowledge in troubleshooting gauges and instruments on equipment to bring about satisfactory operation
- Ability to understand and operate complex operation of high pressure steam and chilled water systems which can be operated several ways depending on operational needs.
- Ability to interpret, evaluate, and direct operators to report equipment conditions and the actions taken on field equipment by plant personnel
The Control Room Operating Engineer First Class is designated an emergency employee, reporting to work on time in the event of severe weather conditions, regardless of whether the University is closed or operating on alternate schedule, and participating in snow removal operations if assigned.
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Control-Room-Operating-Engineer-1st-Class--Central-Plant---Georgetown-University-Planning---Facilities-Management_JR09847
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency