The Grainger College of Engineering: Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Engi...
Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Grainger College of Engineering
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
The Grainger College of Engineering (GCOE) seeks applications for the position of Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI). This position will report to the Dean of the college and serve as the chief diversity officer as part of the Dean’s leadership team with overall responsibility for ensuring that Grainger Engineering becomes a leader among engineering schools in the DEI space. This position will work with the Dean and other college leaders to identify and implement best practices for advancing DEI efforts in organizational culture, teaching, and public engagement. This position will also serve as a liaison with other university entities (including the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion) to ensure alignment of college and university priorities.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu.EEO.
Specific duties and responsibilities of the Associate Dean for DEI include:
- Serve as the Chief Diversity Officer for the GCOE and work towards energizing faculty, staff, and students to promote DEI efforts.
- Coordinate departmental diversity committees and DEI efforts in order to facilitate knowledge transfer and sharing of best practices to provide synergy between departments.
- Work closely with the Office of the Vice Chancellor of DEI and other colleges across the campus to coordinate and capitalize upon DEI efforts, and represent GCOE on campus-level committees with regard to diversity and inclusion issues.
- Provide leadership in developing and implementing new programs for building the pipeline for recruiting, and developing and retaining a diverse faculty and staff.
- Partner with the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs and the Associate Dean for Graduate Programs to continue to build long-term relationships with minority serving institutions and community colleges to enhance student recruiting and retention. This also includes organizing and participating in the public facing DEI efforts in the engineering discipline.
- Serve as Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Officer for the college, working closely with Engineering Human Resources and the standing Grainger College Diversity Committee and the Institute for Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access (IDEA).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Eligible candidates for the Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion position must hold a faculty position in The Grainger College of Engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. They must demonstrate a passion and proven record of successful engagement in matters related to DEI, as demonstrated by three to five years of prior experience with diversity programming and initiatives as they relate to student/faculty experiences. Strong administrative, communication, and team building skills are required.
This appointment carries a 12-month administrative stipend for up to quarter-time (25%) effort that is accompanied by the full-time faculty appointment. To apply for this position, candidates should create a profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and submit a cover letter articulating their vision for this position, together with a curriculum vitae, and names and contact information for three references in a single PDF file. Complete applications should be received by March 5, 2021 for full consideration, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled. The start date is as soon as possible and salary is commensurate with skills and experience. Please direct questions pertaining to the search or application procedures to Lori Willoughby at [email protected] or 217-333-3837.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Engineering Category:1-Faculty Title:The Grainger College of Engineering: Associate Dean for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Engineering Administration (142534) Open Date:02/16/2021 Organization Name:Engineering Dean