Graduate Assistant for Civic Engagement
Graduate Assistant for Civic EngagementPosition Eclass:
GF - Graduate Flat PayPosition Summary:
The term Graduate Assistant is the umbrella term that encompasses all types of GA appointments. Graduate Assistants are employed by the University to teach, conduct research, or assist with administrative duties in departments and non-academic units. Every attempt is made to assign Graduate Assistants to positions that are directly related to the student’s field of study or that provide the opportunity to develop transferable, professional skills. Graduate Assistantships are assigned in the department or unit and confirmed by the Graduate School.Additional Details:
Department/Office Mission: The Office of Leadership and Civic Engagement at UNC Greensboro serves as a catalyst for experiential curricular and co-curricular leadership development and civic engagement initiatives that empower students to effect positive change and serve as citizen leaders in a global community. Through community engagement, integrated learning, and reflective practice we equip students to develop a personal, professional and civic identity.
Job Duties and/or Responsibilities: This Civic Engagement GA provides support for community engagement programs and initiatives in order to provide service opportunities for students and maintain ethical and effective community partnerships. This role has significant student, staff, and community partner interaction.
Student Supervision & Engagement- 60%
- Hire, Train, and supervise 4-6 student Catalyst Leaders to plan and execute impactful Saturday service days for students.
- Hire, train, and supervise Civic Engagement Fellow(s) and/or student employees/interns to support OLCE programming and food insecurity initiatives, including Farmer Foodshare Donation Station, and/or other projects as needed.
- Conduct community service consultations with undergraduate students and/or student organizations who are looking to serve with the community.
- Facilitate presentations to educate and engage students in ethical and effective community engagement.
Program & Event Planning– 30%
-Support the planning, recruitment, and coordination of large-scale OLCE events, including Days of Service, the Volunteer and Service-Learning Fair, Empty Bowls, and Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week (H&HAW).
-Assist in the planning and development of community partner appreciation events.
-Implement assessment and reflection activities in order to evaluate the effectiveness of the above events and programs.
Communications/Administrative – 10%
- Design social media graphics and engagement posts to increase attendance at civic engagement programs and raise awareness about areas and partners.
- Create and publish promotion for events and programs on Spartan Connect and ensure related OLCE webpages are up-to-date.
-Represent OLCE at various campus events, fairs, and committees
-Assist with major OLCE events such as the Leadership Challenge Medallion Ceremonies and student leadership conferences.
-Work with other OLCE Graduate Assistants to identify and celebrate a “Citizen-Leader” of the Month
To be eligible for appointments as a graduate assistant, you must:
•Maintain academic good standing at all times (3.0).
•Be enrolled full-time, which is generally a minimum of 9 credits.
•Make satisfactory progress toward your degree as defined by your academic program and the Graduate School.
•Meet the requirements to be eligible for employment in the U.S.
Required Skills or Prerequisites:
- Interest or experience in community and civic engagement programming and/or social justice education
-Interest or experience in large-scale event planning
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google applications
- Strong organizational skills and ability to attend to detail
- Ability to work well both collaboratively and independently
- Valid driver’s license (occasional need to utilize OLCE vans for student programming)
-This position offers no tuition waiver or tuition assistance.
- Be available to begin a week or two before official graduate start date
Leadership - Civic Engagement - 44805Posting Begin Date:
02/05/2021Open Until Filled: