Maintenance Specialist 4
Maintenance Specialist 4Posting Number:
Maintenance Specialist 4Classification Code:
596KRCW Exemption Criteria:
No ExemptionEWU Position Number:
Non-ExemptBargaining Unit :
BU 2% Full Time:
100%Salary / Wage Range:
CS - 58GSalary Information:
$68,916 – $77,952Anticipated Start Date:
TBDTerm of Appointment:
Yes - BothResponsible HR User:
Vara Lyn ConrathResponsible HR User Email address:
- Eastern Washington University is currently seeking a Maintenance Specialist 4. The primary function of this position is to directly supervise full-time journey level technicians in the Building Maintenance Shop which includes, journey level Painter, Maintenance Mechanics and related trades workers engaged in painting, glazing, sign writing, and floor covering, involved in the construction, repair, alteration, and maintenance of campus buildings and facilities. Works closely with EWU Housing regarding campus housing needs.
- This position is responsible for managing and assigning work orders to Shop Staff. This position requires participation at regularly scheduled meetings, as well as interaction and cooperation with other Supervisors and customers. Outstanding customer service skills are a must for this position. The successful candidate should have intermediate level computer skills and understanding of Microsoft Office programs.
- For a complete job description please see the Proposed Job Duties section of the positing.
- On top of salary, the University offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, life and disability insurance and retirement. In addition, EWU offers generous vacation and sick leave accruals, 11 paid holidays per year and fringe benefits, such as tuition waiver for employees, discounted EWU sports tickets and free transportation through STA buses.
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to our primary campus in Cheney, we also offer programs in Spokane’s innovative University-District, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement:
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
- This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
- Successful candidate must be able to pass a pre-placement physical.
- This position is covered by the Washington Federation of State Employees’ Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- If you would like to obtain a copy of the Essential Functions Analysis form, which describes the physical and mental demands of the position, please contact Vara Lyn Conrath at [email protected]
YesHearing Test :
YesMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
YesProtective Equipment :
- Eye, face, fall, hearing, respiratory, and UV protection; gloves, hard hat, high visibility/reflective safety vest, inclement weather gear, steel-toed work boots
- Minimum five years of full-time experience as a journey trades worker in building construction and maintenance, or equivalent, including three years, full-time experience as a lead or supervisor.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid WA State Drivers License
- Candidate must demonstrate interest, ability and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and/or diversity.
- Building maintenance experience in campus setting style housing, including multilevel apartments.
- Maintenance work/painting within commercial style buildings.
- Experience with selection of paint and coating
- Prior experience working with automated work order systems
Monday-Friday; 7am-3:30pmPosting Date:
02/11/2021Open Until Further Notice:
02/25/2021Screening to Begin:
ImmediatelySpecial Instructions to Applicants:
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
1. Attach a detailed cover letter in which you explain how you meet each of the required minimum qualifications [and preferred qualifications, if applicable]. It is preferred that you provide that information in a bulleted list or within a table within your cover letter.
2. Attach a chronological resume including work experience, education, and applicable certifications. Please include the names, email addresses and phone numbers for 3 professional references in your resume.
3. Complete the online application form. Professional references may be the same as listed on your resume.
4. Respond to the online questions if applicable.
5. Applicant Certification – please download the Certification form (link is provided in the next field); then complete and sign the form, and upload it to this link.
6. Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
Pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080, applicants for employment at any Washington State institution of higher education, are required to provide a signed statement verifying information about their history of prior sexual misconduct and providing authorization for current and previous employers to disclose relevant records to Eastern Washington University.
All applicants are required to download the statement linked below, complete and sign it, and then attach the signed statement as part of their job application: Required Applicant Certification .
Attach the completed and signed certification to the document link called Applicant Certification.
Application% of Time:
50Responsibility / Duty:
1.Supervise journey level Painters, Maintenance Mechanics and related trades workers engaged in painting, glazing, sign writing, and floor covering, involved in the construction, repair, alteration, and maintenance of campus buildings and facilities. Work closely with EWU Housing Department on campus housing needs.
2.Select, train and evaluate supervised personnel. Participate in employee discipline. Insure that all staff work within their job class, spec., and description.
3.Demonstrate ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal accessibility, of our students, staff, faculty and the public.
4.Coordinate and approve all leave taken by staff of these departments. Make sure staff completes all documentation.
5.Insure that all work performed by staff is completely documented. Periodically visit work site to insure projects are completed and areas have been put back into working conditions. Communicate information to customer concerning status of work
6.Read plans and blueprints, determine scope of work and material needed for maintenance and minor works projects. Submit requests for minor capital works projects (service orders). Provide estimates for work as required. Monitor projects for compliance with estimates.
7.The AiM work order system is the administrative tool for Facilities and Planning. Supervisors will use AiM as intended to track, request and manage shop operations. The expectation is that supervisors will make sure all direct reports are appropriately trained and use AiM for all shop work management. Will be expected to utilize Housing Dept. Starez work order system in dispatching Housing Maint. personnel that are working on campus housing buildings.
8.Order and approve purchase of materials and equipment required to perform maintenance and renovation projects. Monitor operating budgets. Provide information to Director for budgetary needs or discrepancies.
9.Coordinate multi-trade work with other shops supervisors and leads as necessary. When requested take lead on small projects and coordinate other shops and departments to complete. Work with other departments as necessary to support university goals and objectives.Essential Function Indicator:
Yes% of Time:
50Responsibility / Duty:
1. Monitor staff to insure compliance will all university policies and procedures including health and safety issues.
2. Works collaboratively with all departments within Business and Finance and maintains positive relationships throughout the campus community. Exhibits leadership support for the University’s mission and goals and ensures staff participate in required university training.
3. Coordinate preventative maintenance program. Inspect equipment and facilities to provide information on maintenance and renovation project necessary. Write reports as required to document work and requests.
4. Assist in the development of department procedures, policies and budgets. Provide information on staff training required to maintain facilities.
5. Provide coordination and assistance for emergency or overtime work to manage costs and provide efficient use of resources.
6. Provide weekly Operations Reports to Director of Facilities Maintenance on the daily activities, status of upcoming, ongoing and completed projects of the Paint, sign / Housing Maint. shops.
7. Perform other related duties as required.Essential Function Indicator: