Senior Research Scientist - Associate Director, School & Community Engagement, CEISMC
Job Title: Senior Research Scientist - Associate Director, School & Community Engagement, CEISMC
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 223896
The Center for Education Integrating Science, Mathematics and Computing (CEISMC) is a unit within the Office of the Provost at Georgia Tech. CEISMC serves as the primary connection point between Georgia Tech faculty and students and the preK-12 STEM education community.
Atlanta, GaJob Summary
The Center for Education Integrating Science, Mathematics, and Computing (CEISMC) is seeking a Sr. Research Scientist/Associate Director to lead and direct the School and Community Engagement unit in Atlanta, GA.
This position interacts with external audiences such as preK-12 educators (superintendents, principals, teachers), community organizations, funders, future USG students and families, external funders and statewide K-12 summer programming committees, the Georgia Department of Education and the University System of Georgia. This position is critical for grant writing and securing funding for our outreach programming, responding to the needs of stakeholder groups, and implementing the Georgia Tech Strategic Plan. This position plays a key role in achieving the vision set forth in the Commission on Creating the Next (CNE), the Georgia Tech strategic plan, and the National STEM Education Strategic Plan all of which call for greater alignment between preK-12 and higher STEM education.Responsibilities
Directs the planning, development, budgeting, implementation and evaluation of Georgia Tech CEISMC programs (K-12 schools, teachers, and community) and partnerships at the local and state level, in coordination with CEISMC leadership team
Specific responsibilities include:
- Cultivates and manages relationships with internal and external partners including but not limited to: schools, school systems, local, national and state agencies, Georgia Tech colleges , schools and units, other colleges and universities, community organizations, corporations, and private foundations.
- Provides consultation, support and technical assistance to internal and external partners on effective STEM education.
- Creates and executes program/partnership work plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Identifies and obtains needed resources and assigns individual responsibilities.
- Directs day-to-day operations of CEISMC external partnerships in collaboration with CEISMC associate/assistant directors.
- Enforces project standards and ensures that all project deliverables are developed on time and to standard.
- Coordinates and serves on cross-institutional teams with internal and external partners.
- Leads writing and monitoring of grants, contracts and cooperative agreements that support the partnerships in collaboration with CEISMC associate/assistant directors.
- Hires and supervises diverse and distributed staff.
- Conducts needs assessments and research on effective school-university-community partnerships.
- Represents Georgia Tech in local, statewide and national professional networks and organizations.
Effective K-12 STEM Education
- Serves as a content expert on current trends and research in STEM teaching and learning, including effective engagement of underserved populations.
- Designs, develops, and delivers research-based STEM professional development to faculty, school and district leadership teams , teachers and GT students.
- Liaisons with faculty to help them develop and provide research-based professional development and community engagement.
- Understands and uses a broad array of instructional technologies, including distance learning to serve university, school and community partners.
- Summarizes, interprets, and disseminates information related to current development in STEM education for a wide of array of partners.
Higher Education Content Development and Delivery
- Supervises undergraduate and graduate students engaged in school and community STEM partnerships.
- Designs and teaches service learning and teaching-focused courses.
Communication and Collaboration
- Establish is strong communication channels and positive working relationships with CEISMC staff, campus collaborators, funders , students, Georgia Department of Education, and other entities.
- Develops high-quality print and digital communications, including social media, to serve a diverse array of partners.
- Uses evaluation information to assess an informed quality improvement efforts.
- A Master’s degree and seven (7) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Master’s degree and nine (9) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor’s degree, or
- A Doctoral degree and four (4) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of a Bachelor's degree.
The rank of Senior Research Scientist is reserved for those professionals who have demonstrated a level of scholarly achievement and technical, managerial, and entrepreneurial productivity commensurate with the highest standards of Georgia Tech.Preferred Qualifications
- PhD or equivalent in STEM field or related areas, including STEM education
- Five or more years of experience in K-12 STEM education, including teaching and administration
- Experience managing and developing school and community partnerships
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and equity
- Familiarity with research-validated strategies for improving the accessibility and quality of STEM education, strengthening partnerships and delivering high-quality professional development
- Success with fund-raising and grant-writing
- Results-driven organization and management skills, including budgets management
- Strong research and/or evaluation skills
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with business, education and productivity software
For more information, please contact Lizanne DeStefano, [email protected]Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Tech provides equal opportunity to all faculty, staff, students, and all other members of the Georgia Tech community, including applicants for admission and/or employment, contractors, volunteers, and participants in institutional programs, activities, or services. Georgia Tech complies with all applicable laws and regulations governing equal opportunity in the workplace and in educational activities. Georgia Tech prohibits discrimination, including discriminatory harassment, on the basis of race, ethnicity, ancestry, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or veteran status in its programs, activities, employment, and admissions. This prohibition applies to faculty, staff, students, and all other members of the Georgia Tech community, including affiliates, invitees, and guests.Other Information
Terms of Appointment:
- Full-time, 12 month Research Faculty position with benefits
- Direct report to the Executive Director of CEISMC
- Salary commensurate with experience
Work schedule will include occasional evening and weekend events. Successful candidate must be able to pass a background check.
Please visit http://policylibrary.gatech.edu/employment/pre-employment-screening.