Hourly Custodial Worker
Present Position Number:
HCUSTORole Code Title:
HSKP & Apparel Serv Worker IPosition Title:
Hourly Custodial WorkerPosition Summary:
William & Mary is seeking applications for part-time/hourly custodial positions to work in various areas of campus, including administrative, academic, athletics and residence life to provide a clean, safe, healthy environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors.
The following shifts are available:
•Day Shift Educational & General (E&G): 5:00-11:30AM, Tues-Sat or Sun-Thurs
•Day Shift Residence Life: 7:00AM-1:30PM, Tues-Sat or Sun-Thurs
•Evening Shift: 5:00-11:00PM, Tues-Sat or Sun-Thurs
Applicants will be notified when contacted for an interview about the shift(s) that are available along with any other details that are specific to the position being filled.
Positions are subject to overtime.
The Custodial Worker position maintains the upkeep and cleanliness of campus buildings and to ensure a clean environment is maintained for all faculty, staff, students and visitors.
Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Clean, dust and wipe fixtures, furniture, floors, surfaces, walls and windows.
- Sweep, mop and vacuum floors. Strip, clean, buff and apply floor cleaners, sealers and finishes to hard surface floors. Vacuum, spot clean and extract carpets.
- Refill restroom dispensers. Empty and clean trash and recycling receptacles. Remove trash and recycling from the building.
- Perform routine preventive maintenance on power equipment and hand tools (e.g. empty, clean, rinse and wash; change belts, hoses, brushes and bags).
- Responsible for the orderliness and cleanliness of assigned housekeeping closets and equipment storage areas. Use step ladders and personal protective equipment (PPE) when required in work assignments.
- Respond to tenant needs and requests. Report building damage or the need for building repairs. Report and respond to emergency calls for custodial assistance. Lock and unlock buildings as directed. Secure buildings when not in use. Report unauthorized occupants or use.
- Work outside to remove snow, ice and debris from entrances, steps and sidewalks, using various tools and products as directed. The university is seeking applications for part-time custodial positions to work in various areas of campus, including administrative, academic, athletics and residence life.
- Demonstrated ability to read, write, speak and understand English to effectively communicate and understand others, and to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to operate powered and non-powered cleaning equipment. Must be willing and able to learn the use of heavy floor care equipment.
- Ability to work with and properly use or learn to use cleaning chemicals and agents, including dilution and dispensing systems.
- Ability to work outdoors in temperatures below 32 degrees and above 90 degrees.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time; lift and carry objects up to 50 lbs.; tolerate frequent bending, stooping, and climbing stairs.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Demonstrated knowledge of commercial cleaning practices.
- Previous experience working as a custodian is highly desirable.
- Commercial Cleaning experience is a plus.
951400 Building ServicesLocation:
William & MaryUniversity Salary Range:
U01Job Open Date:
01/22/2021Review Begin Date:
01/22/2021Open Until Filled:
12-MonthConditions of Employment::
- All hourly employees are subject to the limitations of the Virginia Manpower Control Program and total hours worked may not exceed, on average, 29 hours per week, over the course of a twelve month period beginning May 1 each year.
- This is a non-exempt position, eligible to receive overtime in accordance with the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- This position is subject to overtime (both scheduled and unscheduled).
- This position may work a non-traditional schedule, typically weekends and holidays.
- Availability to accommodate special events, emergencies, and/or unscheduled work assignments which typically include working weekends and/or holidays, especially from May-August, sometimes with short notice.
- This position will be required to wear personal protected equipment (PPE) during specific work duties as determined by the department.
- The ability to stand for extended periods of time; lift and carry objects up to 50 lbs.; tolerate frequent bending, stooping, and climbing stairs.
- This position has been designated as essential and may require reporting to work when the university is officially closed.
- Personal protective equipment will be required during specific work duties as determined by the department.
- The ability to work outdoors in temperatures below 32 degrees and above 90 degrees.
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.Background Check Statement:
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.Benefits Summary Statement:
Our hourly employees enjoy many university benefits such as, participation in a supplemental savings plan for retirement, professional development, and wellness benefits. All employees have access to fitness facilities on campus. Staff members also have access to the university libraries, and much more. In addition, after completing a year of continuous hourly service and working at least 1,000 hours during the previous 12 months, hourly employees are eligible for holiday pay, PTO and educational assistance. To learn more, go to: https://www.wm.edu/offices/hr/currentemployees/benefits/index.php