Head Men's Basketball Coach
Job Title: Head Men's Basketball Coach
Location: Clayton State University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 223728
Located 15 miles southeast of downtown Atlanta, Clayton State University offers employees a diverse environment which fosters both professional and personal development. The university is committed to cultivating an environment of engaged, experienced-based learning, enriched by active community service. Clayton State offers multiple Bachelor and Master Degree programs which currently enrolls over 6,900 students in challenging campus and on-line courses.
The campus is situated just 20 minutes from downtown Atlanta on 214 beautiful acres, making access to the metropolitan area a breeze. We’ve been named a Top Workplace in Atlanta by the Atlanta-Journal Constitution for six consecutive years. And we also were named one of 79 higher education institutions across the nation in The Chronicle of Higher Education’s list of 2017 Great Colleges to Work For.
The Head Men’s Basketball Coach is a full-time, 12-month position reporting directly to the Director of Athletics.
- Adhere to the core values of Clayton State Athletics, which are: Professionalism, Character, Accountability, Innovative, Excellence and Trust;
- Adhere to the mission statements of Clayton State University and the Department of Athletics;
- Carry out all aspects of the men’s basketball program necessary to accomplish objectives of the sport within the guidelines of the Department of Athletics, the Peach Belt Conference, and NCAA DII;
- Comply with all Clayton State University and NCAA Division II rules and regulations;
- Meet team fundraising minimums established by the Director of Athletics;
- Ensure team is engaging the local community, participating in at least two community service events per year;
- Select, hire, supervise and evaluate assistant coaches;
- Conduct efficient and effective practice sessions, focusing on student-athlete development and competitiveness;
- Schedule contests and obtain game contracts with opposing teams;
- Recruit highly skilled student-athletes that fit the profile of the institution and are good citizens on campus, the playing court, and in the community;
- Monitor the academic progress of student-athletes and work with athletics staff to ensure academic success;
- Oversee the conduct and discipline of men’s basketball student-athletes;
- Prepare and report on time, particularly regarding operating budget, eligibility, compliance, and travel documentation;
- Ensure proper maintenance and care of Clayton State University property;
- Arrange all team travel, including buses, vans, hotels, flights, and other potential accommodations;
- Assign athletics scholarships within all budget and financial aid guidelines;
- Work within team budget provided by Clayton State athletics administration;
- Attend athletics department staff meetings;
- Attend NCAA education sessions conducted by the NCAA Compliance Officer and work closely with this office;
- Participate in promotional activities geared towards promoting the men’s basketball program, the University, and Clayton State Athletics;
- Keep the Director of Athletics informed about the men’s basketball program;
- All other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred. Minimum three years coaching the sport of basketball at the intercollegiate level. Must have a proven track record of recruiting successful STUDENT-athletes and achieving competitive success.
The successful candidate must be well organized, innovative, have excellent communication skills, attentive to details, can lead, and willingness to serve Clayton State student-athletes, campus, and community. Valid driver’s license with a good driving record required.
*Please, no phone calls at this time.Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Clayton State University, as determined by Clayton State University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Clayton State University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Clayton State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Clayton State University Office of Human Resources at (678) 466-4230. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Disability Resource Center at: (678) 466-5445.