Temporary - Per Diem - Medical Assistant
UHS’s mission is to enhance learning and student success by advancing the health and well-being of our diverse University community. This mission is pursued and supports the University’s purpose by using current knowledge of health and human development to guide responsive, high quality clinical, prevention, and consultation services.UHS’s values are Respect & Compassionate Care; Integrity & Service Excellence; Collaboration & Innovative Solutions; & Engagement & Lifelong Learning.As a member of the UHS staff, your job may be deemed “essential” as defined by University and UHS policy. Please ask you supervisor for additional information.UHS hires individuals of all backgrounds. We build on our staff’s diversity--recognizing, valuing, and appreciating the different perspectives, talents and energy of all. UHS invites all its employees to make a valuable contribution in this regard. We firmly believe that being an inclusive and culturally responsive community is one of the foundations of a vibrant, relevant organization. We aspire to develop the mindsets, knowledge and abilities to build equitable and inclusive systems, teams and culture. POSITION SUMMARYThe Medical Assistant provides patient care and operational support to Physicians, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, and Nurses in the urgent care clinic and outpatient clinic. Some of the Medical Assistant responsibilities include performing point of care diagnostic tests; logistical support for sports physicals for incoming students; daily stocking and maintenance of exam rooms; maintaining inventory of medical supplies; sterilization of medical instruments; preparing patients for medical visits including recording chief complaint and vital signs in the electronic medical record; and coordinating off-site referral appointments and diagnostic studies. This is a per diem position. Candidate will work on an as needed basis to backfill current staff. Daily clinic hours are M: 8am – 7pm; Tu-Fri: 8am – 5pm. May be required to work some Saturdays (9am – 4pm).
Temporary - Per Diem - Medical Assistant
Job ID: 2020-12258
# of Openings: 1
Category: Health Services
University Health Services (UHS) at Princeton University is a fully accredited (Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care, or “AAAHC”) health care facility. Located in the McCosh Health Center, the Caldwell Field House and Dillon Gym, UHS provides comprehensive health services to more than 7,500 Princeton undergraduate and graduate students, and specialized services to Princeton University faculty, staff, and employees who experience work-related injuries and illnesses, or who require consultations regarding international and travel medicine.
Clinical Care (80%)
- Perform patient intakeCollect and record patient data (vital signs, height, weight, etc.)Room patients and prepare them for exams & proceduresSet up patient care equipmentApply certain orthopedic appliances (knee immobilizers, slings, etc.)Document medications and allergiesProvide patient education (crutch training, etc.)Performs CLIA waived testing such as, urine dip tests, Strep screens, Flu tests and Pregnancy tests.Assign patients to healthcare providersManage patient flow throughout the clinicPerform EKGsCoordinate referrals and follow-up careProvide discharge planningRefer patients to the Triage Nurse for triagingAssists with sports physicals for incoming freshman studentsResponds to and assists in management of emergency situationsAct as chaperone during sensitive patient exams performed by NP, PA, and/or MDOther duties within the scope of their practice under NJ state law, as delegated by the PCP or RN, including but not limited to provision of vaccinations and phlebotomy
- Responsible for daily stocking and maintenance of exam rooms in the urgent care clinic and individual providers’ rooms. Maintains accurate listing of supplies to be replenished as well as knowledge of medical supplies and instruments.
- Participates in clinic daily opening and closing procedures
- Maintains inventory of clinic supply closet, athletic braces and casting materials; Monitors clinic equipment, e.g., microscope, oxygen tank, Cryo gun, etc.Follows infection control procedures for discarding used needles. Assists with ordering of medical supplies
- Receives patients, scan paper documents to the EMR when needed, makes photocopies of reports and health education materials; and assists in the preparation of records for all incoming students. Has thorough knowledge of clinical, system, and administrative procedures of the clinic.Schedules referral appointmentsAttendance at and participation in staff meetings
- High School GraduateAt least one to two years of relevant Medical Assistant experienceMust have knowledge of medical supplies, equipment and proceduresComputer proficientHave the ability to work with all levels of the organizationCPR/AED certification Rooming and flow management experience
Be advised that you will be contacted only if there is further interest in your application. The candidate dashboard will not display status updates for this requisition.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.