Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
About The University of Virginia’s College at Wise
The University of Virginia’s College at Wise (UVA Wise) is a public, four-year residential liberal arts college located in the beautiful mountains of Southwest Virginia. Prior to its establishment in 1954, there existed no public colleges in Virginia, west of Radford. As a result, postsecondary and higher education was out of reach for individuals and families living in Virginia’s mountainous western and southwestern regions. What started as an ambitious dream of local citizens has since blossomed into one of the nation’s best public liberal arts colleges.
With proven academics, thriving student life, and a picturesque campus, UVA Wise provides students with learning experiences that offer opportunities to develop the insight, competence, sensitivity, and integrity necessary for living enriched lives and for enriching the lives of others. UVA Wise prides itself on being a diverse community of people who believe that information can be transformed into knowledge and that teaching and learning create a foundation for wisdom. Proud of its Appalachian heritage, the College continues to honor its commitment of service to Southwest Virginia, the nation, and the world – guided by a legacy of teaching and scholarly excellence and by a dedication to quality in both the arts and sciences and professional programs.
The Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration (VCFA) is a full-time, 12-month position, reporting directly to the Chancellor. Leading a team of Finance and Administration professionals, the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration demonstrates a broad knowledge of strategic financial and administrative operations in higher education or other non-profit organizations of similar size, complexity, and scope. The vice chancellor has a number of direct reports and oversight of many operational units, including: finance, budgeting, facilities management (including construction), campus police, human resources, and auxiliary services. The UVA Wise division of finance and administration has 80 employees.
The incoming Vice Chancellor will be an effective and innovative leader, natural collaborator and communicator, and an accomplished manager of people, processes, projects, and systems. The ideal candidate will possess an advanced degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business with at least 10 years of experience in a senior leadership role.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Serves as a member of the Chancellor’s Senior Staff and Cabinet;
- Provides the overall vision and leadership for Finance and Administration and ensures coordination of programs and services;
- Creates a dynamic and productive environment for a group of experienced and diverse Finance and Administration professionals with direct supervision of the Associate Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration who manages College Services and Procurement, the David J. Prior Convocation Center; the UVA Wise Bookstore and the on-campus UVA Health Clinic for students and employees;
- In addition, the Vice Chancellor supervises the Director of Budget, Director of Human Resources, Comptroller, Director of Capital Operations and Planning, Chief of Police and Director of Emergency Management,
- Participates in the development and implementation of a comprehensive, integrated management plan that is supported by a clear mission statement for the Division and achievable department goals;
- Provides direct oversight of the College’s cash-management in consultation with the Comptroller and Associate Vice Chancellor;
- Serves as Legislative and Government Relations Liaison to the Virginia General Assembly and Virginia Executive Branch in support of the Chancellor and College;
- Plans, creates, administers, and assesses existing UVA Wise Budget with College Budget Director, while developing innovative methods for providing services, for engaging staff in short- and long-range strategic planning, and for implementing successful outreach efforts in support of comprehensive budget planning;
- Oversees Campus Police fostering collaboration with Student Affairs and all areas of the College to ensure consistency regarding policy implementation and enforcement;
- Serves as a member of the Crisis Management Team;
- Works collaboratively with the Vice Chancellor for Advancement & Alumni Engagement to develop best practices for the investment, through the University of Virginia’s Investment Management Company, and use of the College’s endowment with a commitment to ensure fund restrictions are honored;
- Reviews yearly professional development needs and opportunities for the Finance and Administration team and recommends appropriate opportunities as needed;
- Serves as liaison between the College and the University of Virginia’ General Counsel’s Office in all matters relating to the College Administration;
- Partners with the College’s leadership team, faculty, students, and staff to pursue opportunities to strengthen the College’s efforts to be an inclusive community marked by respect, responsibility, and acceptance;
- Works with the Director of Human Resources and Director of Compliance & Inclusion in all mandated programming regarding Title IX and the Clery Act;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Chancellor.
Professional and Personal Qualifications
- Advanced degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business preferred; or, comparable experience, as in significant experience leading a complex organization that is accountable and responsive to diverse stakeholders.
- Ten years of progressively-responsible administrative experience preferably in higher education.
- High energy, strong collegiality, and a positive demeanor.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in managing all aspects of a transparent budgeting process.
- Exceptional judgment and the ability to make decisions and recommendations with the highest levels of integrity, fairness, and ethical standards.
- Demonstrated experience in fostering team building and the ability to engage and motivate the full talents of a diverse staff, inspiring the trust and confidence of the entire campus community.
- Superior interpersonal skills and demonstrated strong transformational leadership, communication, marketing, planning and organizational skills consistent with those required to direct a complex organization coupled with experience in budget management and strategic planning.
- Demonstrated ability to project a strong positive image of the College through public speaking and personal interaction with faculty, staff, students, parents, and others.
- Experience and comfort with both making difficult, high-profile decisions under pressure and advising those who do; a demonstrated ability to apply strong problem-solving and conflict-resolution skills, and ability to train personnel and evaluate performance, taking corrective action as needed and dealing with stressful situations while maintaining composure.
- Shared commitment to the College’s values of inclusion and respect for all and understanding of the needs of a diverse and rapidly changing student body.
- Ability to establish collegial relationships within and outside the College and to work collaboratively and effectively on matters of policy across multiple offices and units at the College and the ability to relate to a wide variety of constituencies, including students, parents, faculty, staff, donors, and alumni, and to appreciate the concerns of each group.
- An understanding of state and federal programs, agencies and laws that specifically address higher education.
Nomination and Application Process
Parker Executive Search is assisting UVA Wise in the search for the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration. The Search Committee invites letters of nomination, applications (letter of interest, full resume/CV, and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to March 24, 2021. Please submit applications through the Parker Executive Search website. For additional information, please contact:
Porsha Williams, Vice President
DeLaina Jordan, Associate
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2875
Atlanta, GA 30328
770-804-1996 ext.: 119
The University of Virginia’s College at Wise is fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.