Library HR Specialist
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB), Health Sciences and Human Services Library (HSHSL) is currently recruiting for a Human Resources (HR) Specialist. The HR Specialist manages the human resources and related budgetary functions of the HSHSL, an environment comprised of faculty, exempt, and non-exempt staff funded by both internal and external sources. This position provides guidance to library administration and leadership on HR issues, interpreting and developing policies, payroll processing, and communicating HR policies, practices, and programs to HSHSL employees. The HR Specialist is responsible for management and guidance of recruiting for faculty and staff, employee relations, payroll, and compliance.
Reporting to both the A.V.P. Academic Affairs/Executive Director HSHSL and to the HSHSL Associate Director of Administration and Operations, the HR Specialist also works closely with the Office of Academic Affairs and the campus Human Resources Services department.
UMB offers a generous benefits package, which includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
- Administers the day-to-day HR functions in the library. Acts as a resource for employees, answering a variety of HR questions and referring employees to proper HR sources.
- Primary contact and liaison between the library and central HR and payroll. Manages the HR and payroll records management processes for the library. Oversee payroll approvals and authorizations; ensures paperwork is submitted in a timely manner.
- Leads recruiting efforts for faculty and staff. Facilitate onboarding of all faculty and staff.
- Consults with faculty, managers, and employees on policy and guidelines, assist in creating policies as needed. Interprets how policies and guidelines apply to and affect permanent and non-permanent status faculty, non-exempt staff, exempt staff, and contractual library employees.
- Strategically works with library leadership to understand business needs and develop creative solutions to accomplish objectives. Advise Division Heads, Managers, and Supervisors on disciplinary actions, terminations, faculty promotion and permanent status applications, and serves as an expert in these areas.
- Provides salary estimates as needed for budget spending projections. Work with campus HR Compensation team to ensure equity among employees.
- Plans and promote activities in support of the library’s strategic plan objectives.
- Coordinates the hiring, appointment, promotion, and permanent status of Library Faculty.
- Manages and monitor the performance evaluation process for faculty and staff.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned, such as participating in HRS initiatives.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, or related field of study. Master’s degree is preferred.
Experience: Two (2) years of experience in the human resource field. General knowledge of human resource laws, practices, and policies is required.
Preferred: Previous experience using HR management systems. Previous experience using applicant tracking systems. Professional in Human Resources Certification (PHR) or willingness to obtain. Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possesses knowledge of position requirements and is able to perform position in compliance with all requirements/regulations/laws.
- Ability to maintain high standards with the work being performed, maintaining awareness of trends and influences.
- Assumes personal responsibility for all outcomes.
- Ability to effective and timely decisions.
- Effectively uses technology in the performance of job.
- Maintains productivity and uses knowledge strategies to increase knowledge base.
- Effectively communicates verbal and written thoughts, ideas, and facts. Writes and presents information in a clear and concise way. Interprets and understands written information and is able to listen attentively to verbal and non-verbal cues that lead to a deeper understanding.
- Ability to work cooperatively with others demonstrating professional, ethical, respectful, and courteous behavior when interacting with others. Capable of interacting pleasantly and positively with others to meet customer expectations, and provide follow up with customers.
- Knowledge of Libraries or experience in an academic setting.
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
UMB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law or policy.
Job: Reg or CII Exempt Staff
Shift: Day Job
Organization: Health Sciences and Human Services Library - Administration
Job Posting: Feb 15, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing