Academic Advisor--LAS Student Affairs
Title:Academic Advisor--LAS Student Affairs (Job ID #141986) Department:Liberal Arts and Sciences Category:Academic Professional Location:Chicago Close Date:02/25/2021 Description:
This position is a member of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (LAS) Academic Advising Center. It is the role of this unit to assure that, in the continuum from admission through graduation, students’ individual educational needs are met while maintaining the academic standards established by the faculty of the College. As a primary source of College information, the academic advisors in LAS promote and facilitate excellence through academic advising.
We believe that our services should assist in maximizing the academic experience and student achievement in the expectation that students will become lifelong learners and attain their career objectives. These services are carried out via a two-tier advising system, which promotes reciprocal accountability between a student and their advisors, and also facilitates students’ identification with and understanding of the College and University.Duties:
- Engages in undergraduate student advising with current and incoming undergraduate students, evaluating students’ degree progress/eligibility, educating and providing guidance concerning degree requirements, programs, academic and professional planning.
- Evaluates undergraduate students’ progress in their respective programs, evaluating degree requirements, counseling and providing related guidance and direction.
- Educates students regarding College, University and Campus policies and procedures, along with course registration and selection. Interprets and enforces academic policies.
- Guides students in navigating the petition process for exceptions to academic policies.
- Provides students and prospective with information regarding available College and University resources and opportunities.
- Educates and informs prospective students and their family/friends about LAS degree programs and opportunities to aid in the recruitment of new LAS students.
- May conduct new LAS student orientation programs, supporting undergraduate LAS students in their transition to college, the University and promotes their academic success.
- Intervenes and refers students to resources throughout the University community as may be needed.
- Exercises professional discretion and judgment to troubleshoot issues and problems that may arise.
- Documents pertinent and required information related to interactions with students.
- Maintains and updates related databases as needed, to ensure that student records accurately reflect degree progress and academic status.
- Assesses transfer courses for equivalency to UIC courses and requirements, updating student records to reflect determined equivalency.
- As a member of the LAS Academic Advising Center, contributes to decisions for the academic probation or dismissal of individual LAS students.
- Participates on committees and/or teams as needed and/or assigned.
- Assists in the facilitation training and development of new advisors as may be needed.
- Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required in the area of education, liberal arts and sciences, business, or a related field.
- Master’s Degree in LAS, Teacher Education, Counseling or a related field preferred.
- At least one year of academic advising experience in higher education
- Demonstrated work experience in student/academic advising, counseling or other related field in an institution of higher learning.
- Excellent communication, organization, presentation and computer/pc skills are required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office to include: Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, along with other related software.
- Familiarity with student development theory and FERPA, would be helpful.