This position is within the Grounds department of Facilities Management Services.
Schedule: Tuesday through Saturday, 6:00 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.
Performs gardening and grounds maintenance in caring for turf, shrubs, ground cover, flowers, and hard surfaces by using tools and power equipment. Works as a lead worker for a small group of grounds keeping employees. Must be able to endure extreme heat in the summer and cold winters.
- Mow turf using both walk behind and riding mowers and fertilize turf, shrubs, ground cover, flowerbeds and trees.
- Operates power equipment such as: rototiller, sod cutter, soil compactor, chain saw, verticutter, hedge trimmer, blowers, mower, tractor, and edger. Ability to properly operate a variety of equipment and tools including: aerial lifts, chain saws, chippers, mini-excavators, skid loaders, hand mowers, rototillers, rollers, lawn sweepers, leaf blowers, and salt spreaders.
- Cares for and maintains tools. Maintains and sharpens tools and makes minor repairs on equipment, as needed. Performs routine cleaning and maintenance on gardening and grounds equipment.
- Performs continuous preventative maintenance on existing irrigation systems, including programming irrigation controls as needed due to weather and/or usage of facilities.
- Performs gardening and grounds maintenance in caring for turf, shrubs, ground cover, flowers, and hard surfaces by using tools and power equipment.
- Safely operate University owned vehicles and transport equipment.
- Weed shrub, ground cover, and flowerbeds. Sweep, rake, remove leaves and trash, and clean drains and gutters. Prune and shape trees and shrubs for improved health. Edge and trim ground cover around buildings, walks,walls, shrubs, trees, and lamp poles.
- Apply pesticides under the supervision of a licensed pest control operator.
- Install new irrigation systems where required and repair or replace broken irrigation lines, and valves.
- May supervise and instruct one or several helpers.
- Ability to work weekends and overtime when required.
- Assists in inclement weather duties, such as removing snow and ice from sidewalks and driveways.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
High School or GED and one year of grounds keeping experience. Must pass a criminal background check. A valid Georgia driver's license is required. Landscaping experience, especially in large scale landscaping, preferred.
Open until filled
College/Business Unit: Facilities Management Services
Location: Atlanta Campus
Job Posting: 03/02/21, 7:59:25 AM