Posting Code: 2986166
Work type: Classified, Non-Classified/Professional
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Facilities Maintenance, Mechanical
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction. Learn more about Boise State and the City of Boise at https://www.boisestate.edu/about/boise-and-beyond/. Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.Job Summary/Basic Function:
To perform journey-level welding, machining, and fabrication of metals and special alloys to maintain, repair, design, and modify vehicles and construction related equipment; and to construct specialized devices, parts and structures; perform related work.Level Scope:
Regularly works on tasks that are varied and complex. Applies full range and job knowledge; frequently adapts procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet specialized needs; may serve as lead; performs broad and/or focused assignments under general supervision; originality and ingenuity are often required to help establish procedures in functional area; relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish assigned tasks.Essential Functions:
● Uses plans, diagrams, blueprints, and work requests to determine project design, and works with requester to insure needs are met.
● Fabricates/Modifies parts, , equipment, and any item needed in shop operations to satisfy customer need.
● Determines metals needed, welding methods, and all particulars of requested jobs; heats and tempers metals; designs, lays-out, and cuts special parts or designs jigs to develop items from ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
● Figures angle, length, diameter, and weight of metals for specific jobs and calculates extremely close tolerances to machine work; heats, tempers, straightens, and shapes metals.
● Prepares and cleans surfaces and special parts for welding and machining; selects, positions, aligns, and bolts parts or fixtures to be welded or machined.
● Repairs heavy equipment such as graders, loaders, crawlers, and fabricates repair parts using lathes, milling machines, shavers, and various welders, torches, metal shears, presses, benders and rollers, air tools, saws, and drill presses; uses micrometers and precision measuring tools and all related hand and power tools.
• Uses plans, diagrams, blueprints, and work requests to determine project design, and works with requester to insure needs are met.
• Completes and maintains records and reports of materials, and time and costs involved in completing projects.
• Cleans, lubricates, and repairs tools and shop equipment
● Experience welding and fabricating specialized vehicular devices.
● Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair and maintenance
● Ability to inspect equipment, structures, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects.
Good knowledge of: the methods and standard practices of the welding and machinist trades; various metals and alloys.
Experience: using the tools and equipment common in the welding and machinist trades to fabricate, fit, assemble, manufacture, and repair parts and equipment; working from blueprints and plans and specifications to determine dimensions, tolerances, and layout of work; determining proper welding techniques for various alloys; operating and maintaining metal-removing machines, metal forming equipment, machine tools and a variety of welding devices.
This position starts at: $16.50 per hour. Salary commensurate with experience. Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit options at https://hrs.boisestate.edu/benefits/.
Advertised: February 12, 2021
Applications close: February 28, 2021