Lecturer - Economics
Lecturer - EconomicsPosting Number:
8209RCW Exemption Criteria:
10 - Academic PersonnelEWU Position Number:
45.06 - EconomicsFLSA:
Exempt - TeachingBargaining Unit :
UFE% Full Time:
100%Salary / Wage Range:
The expected salary for this position is $66,926.Anticipated Start Date:
09/16/21Term of Appointment:
Yes - BothLevel 1 User with Access:
Bekah Bray, Felicia JensenResponsible HR User:
Lori LivingstoneResponsible HR User Email address:
The Economics Department in the College of Social Sciences at Eastern Washington University is seeking applications for a Lecturer position in the Department of Economics. The start date for this position is September 16, 2021.
The department offers flexible degree options in Economics BA, BS, Minor, and an Economics General Ed Minor, that can be tailored to a variety of career choices. We seek a colleague with a strong commitment to students, collegiality, and quality teaching. The faculty member hired for this position will be welcomed into a department dedicated to cultural diversity, community engagement, and social justice.
The successful candidate will have teaching responsibilities in introductory Economics courses at the undergraduate level. All faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of learning outcomes.
Screening will begin March 1, 2021. This position has a nine-month academic year appointments with potential for summer teaching assignments. The contract is renewable annually dependent on performance, need, and funding.About Eastern Washington University:
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to our primary campus in Cheney, we also offer programs in Spokane’s innovative University-District, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Diversity Statement:
EWU does not discriminate in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship or immigration status, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, age, marital status, families with children, protected veteran or military status, HIV or hepatitis C, status as a mother breastfeeding her child, or the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability or the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability, as provided for and to the extent required by state and federal laws.Conditions of Employment:
The required start date for this position is 09/16/2021. To be considered eligible for appointment into the position, applicants must be available and able to start in the position no later than 09/16/2021.
This position, during the course of university employment will be involved in the receipt of, or accountability for, university funds or other items of value; as well as the unsupervised access with the developmentally disabled, vulnerable adults or children under the age of 16. The offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion and passing of a background check prior to beginning employment.
Note: Interviews will be conducted via Zoom (camera must be enabled). While we anticipate being open for in-person instruction for academic year 2021-22, should Washington State or university pandemic restrictions disallow for in-person instruction, then courses will be taught via online platforms, including Zoom and other technologies. Candidates must be able to demonstrate competence using these technologies.Physical Demands :
N/APre-Placement Physical :
NoHearing Test :
NoMedical Monitoring Post Hire :
NoProtective Equipment :
University, local, regional and state mandates for public and personal protection should be followed as needed.Required Qualifications:
- Masters in Economics or related field
- At least three years of experience teaching undergraduate level Economics courses at a higher education institution
- At least two years of experience teaching as an “instructor of record”
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- Demonstrated ability to teach in an online format using synchronous and asynchronous components
- Commitment to quality teaching and student development
- Experience in developing courses to promote College in the High School Program
- Actively involved in the community
- Time Management
- Attention to Detail
No ResponseWork Schedule:
Schedule will vary from quarter to quarter to fulfill position’s responsibilities and as teaching schedule varies from quarter to quarter.Posting Date:
02/12/2021Open Until Further Notice:
YesScreening to Begin:
03/04/2021Special Instructions to Applicants:
It is strongly recommended that you print a copy of these instructions and the position posting before you begin to complete the online application, as the instructions will not be viewable once you begin the application process.
Submit your application materials through our online applications portal located here: https://jobs.hr.ewu.edu. If you are unable to submit through the applicant portal, please contact Human Resources Services at (509) 359-2381.
Position is open until further notice; screening will begin on March 1, 2021. All materials will be held in the strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.
Required documentation includes all of the items listed below.
- Cover letter: please describe how you meet each of the required and preferred qualifications
- Curriculum Vitae
- Transcripts, undergraduate and graduate (unofficial copies are acceptable)
- Evidence: Attach evidence of effective teaching to include teaching evaluations if available for the most recent two years. Student evaluations should not include the original evaluation materials, but should be limited to 3rd party summaries.
- Diversity Response – As an equal opportunity employer with a multicultural staff and student population, we are interested in how your qualifications prepare you to work with diverse faculty, staff, and student populations representing various cultures and backgrounds that may be different from your own. Please describe how you will apply an approach that is supportive to the diverse needs, including universal access, of our students, faculty, staff, and the public.
- List of Professional References: please include a list of at least three references including names, title, organization name, phone numbers, email addresses, and their connection to you.
- Applicant Certification – please download the Certification form (link is provided in the next field); then complete and sign the form, and upload it to this link.
- A chart that lists the undergraduate courses you have taught and types of teaching experience (Face to Face, Online, Hybrid, etc.) – attach to the link labeled Other Document #1 (required)
- Additional optional link: if you have an additional document that serves as evidence of how you meet the qualifications, you may upload this item to the optional link labeled Other Document #2 (optional)
Note: Interviews will be conducted via Zoom (camera must be enabled). While we anticipate being open for in-person instruction for academic year 2021-22, should Washington State or university pandemic restrictions disallow for in-person instruction, then courses will be taught via online platforms, including Zoom and other technologies. Candidates must be able to demonstrate competence using these technologies.Required Applicant Certification:
Pursuant to RCW 28B.112.080, applicants for employment at any Washington State institution of higher education, are required to provide a signed statement verifying information about their history of prior sexual misconduct and providing authorization for current and previous employers to disclose relevant records to Eastern Washington University.
All applicants are required to download the statement linked below, complete and sign it, and then attach the signed statement as part of their job application: Required Applicant Certification .
Attach the completed and signed certification to the document link called Applicant Certification.
100Responsibility / Duty:
Teach 45 Credits
All faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of learning outcomes.