10018192 Assistant Director of Library Services - Macon & Warner Robins Campus
Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsSchool/Department: Library Primary Location: Multiple Locations Position: Staff Job Type: Full Time Position Close Date: Until Filled Description:
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for directing the day-to-day operations of the Macon and Warner Robins Campus Library.
- Manages the day-to-day operations of the Macon Campus Library.
- Directly supervises a Reference & Instruction Librarian, two Library Assistants, one Library Business Assistant, one part-time Library Reference Assistant, one part-time Library Assistant, and numerous student assistants. Trains and conducts annual performance evaluations of Macon Campus Library staff.
- Develops semester and weekly schedules for library staff and student workers.
- Manages the lend/lease book collection; selects, orders and returns books.
- Collects library usage data and prepares related reports.
- Provides coverage and performs service desk transactions as needed.
- Manages library outreach activities, including participating in campus events and activities, and developing and executing library events.
- Serves, as assigned, as a discipline specific liaison librarian.
- Provides individual reference services to students, faculty, and other patrons in the identification, location and evaluation of information resources, both in-person and online/remotely.
- Participates in collection development; locates and evaluates materials to be added to the permanent collection.
- Serves on University System of Georgia (USG) and assigned University committees.
- Teaches classes on information literacy and research skills, both in-person and virtually.
- Advocates for, requests and participates in budgetary decisions for the Macon Campus Library.
- Creates library displays.
- Integrates into the Macon community by planning and/or participating in campus events and activities.
- Collaborates collegially with other librarians, faculty, and staff throughout the University and within the University System of Georgia.
- Makes presentations to community and library associations.
- Participates in continuous education, professional development, and research.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of current trends in library services.
- Knowledge of library operations and procedures.
- Knowledge of university policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of electronic information resources.
- Knowledge of collection development principles.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in the supervision of personnel.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in the completion of a variety of reports.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Director of Library Services assigns work related to library goals, objectives and policies & procedures. The supervisor reviews work through various means, including but not limited to communications, conferences, reports, and observations of library activities.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include US copyright law, Online Computer Library Center cataloging standards, American Library Association and Association of College and Research Libraries standards, and university and library policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK:
- The work consists of varied administrative, librarian, and supervisory duties. The variety of tasks to be managed contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to direct the operations of the Macon campus library. Success in this position results in the provision of quality library services to university students, faculty and staff.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, faculty, staff, students, community patrons, representatives of other libraries, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, to motivate or influence persons, or to provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects and distinguishes between shades of color.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: This position has direct supervision over all a Librarian, two Library Assistants, the Library Business Assistant, two part-time Library Reference Assistants, and numerous student assistants.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited university.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the work of subordinate positions to be able to answer questions and resolve problems, usually associated with one to three years of experience or service.
- This position is exempt (monthly paid).
- Salary grade is 21.
TO APPLY: Application materials should be emailed as a Microsoft Word or Adobe.pdf attachment to: [email protected] with the subject line “10018192 Assistant Director of Library Services, Macon & Warner Robins 2.12.2021”. Application materials are to include a resume, an MGA Staff application; a letter of interest; and three professional references. Paper application materials will not be accepted.
Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates.Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsA Unit of the University System of GeorgiaEEO/AA/M/F/V/D