Professional Research Assistant (PRA)
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO
ANSCHUTZ MEDICAL CAMPUS
Colorado School of Public Health
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health
Professional Research Assistant (PRA)
Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careersThe University of Colorado l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds. Nature of WorkThe Department of Environmental and Occupational Health (EOH) at the Colorado School of Public Health has an opening for a full-time (1.0 FTE) or part-time (0.5 FTE) Professional Research Assistant (PRA) position. The Colorado School of Public Health is a collaborative endeavor involving the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (CU Anschutz), Colorado State University (CSU), and the University of Northern Colorado (UNC). The Colorado School of Public Health is the first and only accredited school of public health in the Rocky Mountain Region, attracting top tier faculty and students from across the country, and providing vital contributions towards ensuring our region’s health and wellbeing. Collaboratively formed in 2008 by CU Denver, CSU and UNC, the Colorado School of Public Health provides training, innovative research and community service to actively address public health issues including chronic disease, access to healthcare, environmental threats, emerging infectious diseases, and costly injuries. The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado, the largest academic health center in the Rocky Mountain region and one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. Currently home to 25,000 employees, more than 5,000 degree-seeking students and two nationally recognized hospitals that handle 1.7 million patient visits each year, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future, carries out a broad range of research, and cares for the state’s children, adults, and veterans. CU Anschutz features schools of medicine, pharmacy, dental medicine and public health, a college of nursing and a graduate school.The incumbent will collect bio-specimens and data at in-person visits and will assist with the recruitment and retention of study participants for the Colorado School of Public Health’s PFAS (Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances) Multi-Site Health Study based in Fountain, Security or Widefield, CO (El Paso County). The PFAS Multi-Site Health Study is a cooperative agreement with the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) that has been awarded to 7 US sites, including one in El Paso County, Colorado. The multi-site health study will expand scientific knowledge of the relationships between PFAS exposure and certain health outcomes and help people better understand how exposure to PFAS may impact their health. The study will look at many specific health endpoints, such as lipid metabolism, kidney function, thyroid disease, liver disease, glycemic parameters and diabetes, as well as immune response. The Colorado site is tasked with enrolling 1,000 adults and 300 children from areas in El Paso County, Colorado that have been impacted by drinking water contaminated with PFAS. This position will be based in Fountain, Security or Widefield, CO with occasional travel to the Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, CO, during the study development phase for trainings, meetings and procedure development.The candidate will work with a large collaborative team to meet study goals. The incumbent will collect bio-specimens and data at in-person clinic visits, perform data entry, will assist with the recruitment and consenting of study participants and will assist with school and medical record abstraction. Reliable means of transportation is a must. During the data collection phase of the study the office will be open on Saturdays and during the recruiting phase of the study evening work will likely be required. The incumbent will be required to adjust his/her work week accordingly. Supervision ReceivedThis position reports to the study principal investigators Dr. John Adgate and Dr. Anne Starling. Supervision ExercisedN/A Examples of Work PerformedDuties and responsibilities include the following:
- Blood and urine collection, processing and shipping of samples for analysis.
- Collection of physical measurements including weight, height, blood pressure, and waist circumference.
- Administration of health-related questionnaires.
- Assisting the lab manager and study data manger in keeping sample repository database up to date.
- Scheduling visits and participation in study retention efforts and events.
- Documentation and reporting of serious adverse events.
- Documentation of clinic visit procedures.
- Data entry of visit forms in RedCap Data Repository and resolution of data edits.
- Participation in study meetings and trainings as required.
- Recruiting and consenting study participants.
- Scheduling clinic visits.
- School and medical record abstraction.
- Other study projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Phlebotomy certification.
- 1+ years of experience in research or clinical setting working with human subjects/patients.
- Experience reviewing medical and school records.
- Experience using REDCap for data entry.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Professional experience working with people of all ages (i.e., children, adults and seniors).
- Professional experience following a research or clinical protocol.
- Bilingual with fluency in Spanish and English
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Feb 11, 2021
Unposting Date: Ongoing