Associate Director, Communications
Job no: 515777
Work type: Staff Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Communications/Public Relations/Marketing, Executive/Director/Management
Department:27010400 - HA-HSC NEWS / COMMUNICATIONS
Associate Director, CommunicationsJob Description:
STRATEGIC COMMUNICATIONS PLANNING AND MANAGEMENT.
- Develops, implements and evaluates a strategic communications plan to promote and advance CTSI activities, utilizing news, communications, advertising, marketing and public affairs strategies as appropriate.
- Ensures consistency of messaging and branding.
- In conjunction with the CTSI Communication and Dissemination Program, collaborates with health communication researchers, translational research teams and other communications professionals to develop and implement communications plans for specific CTSI activities.
- Participates in strategic communications planning for UF Health.
- Utilizes research, best practices and evaluation to determine the most effective ways to communicate with stakeholders.
- Manages the development and implementation of communications procedures and tools for the CTSI and its affiliated programs and services.
- Prepares communications reports.
- Directly supervises and promotes the professional development of the CTSI Communications Specialist, and serves as an integral member of the CTSI management team.
- Ensures a coordinated approach to communications, working closely with CTSI faculty and staff, UF Health Communications managers and staff, and main campus communicators to avoid duplication of effort and ensure effectiveness and adherence to UF and UF Health communications standards, guidelines and policies.
CONTENT CREATION AND DISSEMINATION. Manages the creation and maintenance of internal and external communications channels for the CTSI, including the CTSI’s website and social media presence. Serves as project manager, editor and principal writer of a wide variety of print and digital materials, including news releases, articles, feature stories, videos, newsletters, fact sheets, brochures, an annual report, Web content, social media content, radio scripts and PowerPoint presentations. Works closely with UF Health Communications Creative Services staff to coordinate photography, videography, graphic design and outsourcing to freelancers to complete projects. Scouts, researches, and writes news releases, articles and feature stories, translating complex scientific information into compelling copy appropriate to a lay audience, in accordance with Associated Press style. Facilitates media requests and escorts members of the media when they visit the CTSI and/or UF Health campus. Facilitates bidirectional dissemination of research findings, resources and best practices with the national CTSA consortium.
EVENTS. Organizes special events to engage stakeholders and promote CTSI programs, services, faculty and other activities. Promotes lecture series and workshops for the CTSI.
TRAINING. Helps train and prepare CTSI faculty, scholars and trainees for public speaking engagements and media interviews regarding specific research programs.
SPECIAL PROJECTS. Provides ad-hoc writing, editing and graphics support for CTSI-led special projects, including major grant proposals, best-practice publications, dissemination strategies and communications campaigns. Participates in UF and UF Health Communications initiatives to represent research-related communications needs and opportunities. Contributes to national Clinical and Translational Science Award, or CTSA, program initiatives.
Performs related duties as required or deemed appropriate to the accomplishment of the responsibilities and functions of his/her area(s).Expected Salary:
$68,000 - $75,000 annuallyMinimum Requirements:
Master's degree in appropriate area of specialization and four years of relevant experience or a bachelor's degree in appropriate areas of specialization and six years of relevant experience.Preferred Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in strategic communications or related field.
- Experience developing and implementing strategic communications plans.
- Five years of public relations or journalism writing, with experience in reporting and writing on medical and scientific topics.
- Experience in academic research or health care environment.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate with faculty and staff at multiple levels and in diverse fields.
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments independently.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work as part of a team toward organizational objectives.
- Superior spelling, punctuation and grammatical skills.
- Proficiency in Associated Press style.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and WordPress.
Please upload the following - CV or Resume, Cover Letter and List of Professional References.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 12 Feb 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 01 Mar 2021 Eastern Standard Time