OPS Veterinary Assistant
Job no: 515778
Work type: Temp Full-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Agriculture/Life Science/Vet Medicine
Department:28311000 - VM-HOSPITAL
OPS Veterinary AssistantJob Description:
Responsible for uncompromising levels of cleanliness throughout the service while creating a safe and accident free environment. The overall aesthetics of the hospital area is a direct reflection on the high quality care we provide so it is important the areas are kept in pristine condition.
Examples of work include but are not limited to the following:
- Practice appropriate infection control by managing biohazardous patient care items and lab specimens appropriately
- Maintains safe, secure, healthy and humane environment by sanitizing and disinfecting patient runs/cages, all equipment, and cleaning and preparing items for sterilization; follow standards and procedures; comply with infection control protocols.
- Maintain and keep all work and break areas cleaned and organized.
- Maintain equipment within room and report broken or malfunctioning equipment to the appropriate manager
- Check drugs and supplies for expiration date and stock supplies when needed.
- Submit work orders as needed to the appropriate hospital personnel and notify the manager of the submission
- Ensure cages and runs including drains, grates, and doors are cleaned every day and as needed.
- Sweep and mop floors
- Disinfect and clean equipment
- Take out trash and recyclables
- Assist with processing laundry, as needed
- Ensures stock is at appropriate levels.
- Assist co-workers during busy hours.
A key role for this position is to assist services where needed and ensure all tasks are completed for the shift. The expectation is that the individual will communicate effectively with coworkers to determine the needs and priorities needed for the day. They will bring in the area a positive “can do” attitude.
As an assistant, providing the necessary assistance is essential for the care of our patients and the success of the service. The person is expected to be attentive and take initiative. They should know when to ask for help or seek guidance. We want staff to promote patient safety and quality care by ensuring each patient is treated as if it was their own cherished pet. Patients should be handled with care with the goal to prevent and alleviate fear, anxiety, and stress during their visit.
Examples of this include but not limited to the following:
- Assist in providing Veterinary Assistant support throughout the specialty services of the Small Animal Hospital.
- Assist in veterinary clinical nursing skills such as patient restraint, physical examination, venipuncture, and patient preparation for surgery.
- Assist in the daily workflow of the specialty services to promoting patient care and student teaching.
- Assist in facilitating diagnostic imaging, laboratory and Anesthesia requests for patient evaluation.
- Perform basic patient monitoring during recovery from minor procedures.
- Assist the PCW and ICU services with service specific patient care needs.
- Engage in positive communication with fellow team members, students and clinicians to help with day patient care evaluation.
- Perform various administrative tasks such as charge entry, and record audits for accuracy in orders and fees.
- Assist in appointment confirmations with clients.
- Assess and preemptively prepare any supplies, procedure items or patient point of care diagnostics to maximize specialty workflow efficiency.
Starting salary is $13.00 per hourMinimum Requirements:
High School diploma or equivalentPreferred Qualifications:
This job might be for you if:
- You like helping people.
- You are okay with repetitive work
- You are a problem solver. You rarely get flustered and if you do not know the answer, you will investigate it until you do.
- You pay attention to the details. You want to make sure everything you do is accurate the first time around. You stay focused and ensure nothing falls through the cracks.
- You communicate clearly whether it is verbally or written. You are not shy about asking questions to make sure you understand things clearly and can use your listening skills to ensure you understand what is being asked.
- You are motivated and driven. You are the first to volunteer for new challenges. You want to make a difference and find ways to improve the job.
- You thrive on staying busy and helping out others
In order to be considered, you must upload your resume.
This is a full time position. Employee may be asked to cover shifts outside of normal shift. Please list any days/times that you would be unable to work.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.Health Assessment Required:
Must be able to lift minimum of fifty pounds, bend, kneel, pull, push, twist, and stand for extended periods of time.
Advertised: 25 Feb 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: 11 Mar 2021 Eastern Standard Time