Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-12
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The University of Miami Department of Medicine Division of Pulmonary Medicine has an exciting opportunity for an Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner position (APRN).
The APRN provides care to a immunocompromised cancer patients by determining and rendering advanced nursing and medical interventions. Assesses patients by interviewing/examining the patient, reviewing the patient’s medical history/chart, physician’s diagnosis and orders, diagnostic test results (lab, x-ray, MRI, etc.) to determine medical diagnosis, plan of care and monitor patient’s progress. Evaluates the patient's progress in attaining expected outcomes by follow-up with collaborating physician. The ARNP will perform a patient assessment to include medical history and physical exam and in collaboration with the physician develop an appropriate plan of care in the direct management of patients with acute and chronic illnesses. The ARNP works directly with staff, administration, patients and families to ensure quality care across the continuum as an expert in selected practice areas. The ARNP integrates current knowledge of professional issues, trends in health care and technological advances into scope of practice. Additionally, the ARNP participates in the collection of research data, quality improvement, discharge planning and coordination of patient care within the acute care areas.Serves as a mentor to the nursing staff.
- Performs and documents complete physical examinations and comprehensive health histories.
- Functions independently to perform age-appropriate history and physical for patients.
- Orders and interprets diagnostic and therapeutic tests relative to patient’s age-specific needs.
- Prescribes appropriate pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic treatment modalities Implements interventions to support the patient to regain or maintain physiologic stability.
- Assists with the provision of care in accordance with facility, state, and federal regulations.
- Monitors the effectiveness of interventions.
- Facilitates the patient’s transition within and between health care settings, e.g. admitting, transferring, and discharging patients.
- Collaborates with multidisciplinary team members by making appropriate referrals.
- Facilitates staff, patient and family decision making by providing educational tools.
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
- Master’s degree in relevant field
- Valid State of Florida APRN License
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience
Department Specific Functions
CORE JOB SUMMARY
The University of Miami’s Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care, & Sleep Medicine, within the Department of Medicine, is currently recruiting an Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) to assist with clinical, research and administrative functions. This APRN should be well versed in the clinical management of health problems in accordance with all regulatory nursing standards of care. This employee will be accountable for all aspects of patient care, including diagnosing, treating, and consulting independently, or as part of a care team. This activity may be performed in both the in-patient and outpatient setting. This medical management includes assessment of acute and non-acute clinical problems. Responsibilities include but are not limited to documenting medical histories, conducting physical examinations, ordering, and interpreting data obtained from diagnostic tests, and processing the appropriate medications and therapeutic plans.
The individual may also be required to independently asses and analyze complex clinical cases to provide patients, family, and staff members with the most up-to-date and relevant information. This employee will function as an educational resource for continuity of care across settings. This will foster building and maintaining a multidisciplinary and collaborative approach to patient care. This role will require a high level of clinical competence combined with research and administrative knowledge to fulfill divisional requirements.
The APRN may also participate in the research activities of the Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine at the Miller School of Medicine within the Department of Medicine. The individual will work closely with the Principal Investigator (PI) and could focus on 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) studies. This includes sample collection, analysis of data sets, lab collaboration and production of academic journal articles. Due to COVID-19 this salaried employee should expect a work week with fluctuating hours as needed by the Principal Investigator.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
The Advanced Practice Registered Nurse will perform a variety of clinical, research, administrative and clerical duties to assist with the operations of the Division. The duties and responsibilities for this position may include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Demonstrates knowledge of etiologies, risk factors, presentation and epidemiology of medical conditions.
2. Conducts history and physical assessments of patients that are accurate, complete, concise, relevant and appropriate for age, gender and clinical problem.
3. Orders appropriate diagnostic studies and correctly interprets the results.
4. Utilizes critical thinking to synthesize and analyze collected data.
5. Develops, implements, evaluates and alters the plan of care as needed.
6. Manages general medical and surgical conditions based on knowledge of the indications, contraindications, side effects, interactions and adverse reactions of pharmacologic agents and other relevant treatment modalities.
7. Counsels and educates patients and their families.
8. Demonstrates proficiency in procedural skills pertinent to practice area.
9. Maintains accurate, complete, concise and timely documentation in the electronic medical record.
1. Provides care that is patient and family centered, compassionate, appropriate and effective for the promotion of health, prevention of illness and treatment of disease throughout the lifespan.
2. Facilitates consistent, coordinated care and clear communication among all members of the healthcare team.
UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI
Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner
3. Incorporates the patient and family in care planning and treatment across settings.
4. Serves as an advocate for patients and families in navigating the health care system.
5. Conducts comprehensive or episodic health history and physical assessment of patients/families with acute, chronic and/or potential health problems.
6. Establish medical diagnoses and treatment plans
7. Provide for continuity of care between clinic visits
8. Write specific orders within the limits of the practice agreement/scope of practice
9. Discuss proposed surgical procedures, risk and potential complications with supervising physician and patient to obtain proper patient informed consent.
10. Follow up for routine post-operative care and manage complications.
11. Communicate effectively with referring health care providers and clinic staff regarding patient care issues.
12. Participate in a team model of care delivery to identified group/panel of patients.
13. Meet regularly with appropriate physicians; work collaboratively to effect programmatic changes and develop protocols.
14. Develop, implement and evaluate comprehensive patient education programs that assure quality and appropriateness of care across settings.
15. Participate in quality assessment and improvement activities. Identify important aspects of care and assure findings are used to improve practice and operations.
16. Serve on clinical/department based, and medical staff committees, as appropriate.
17. Develop state of the art collaborative practice relationships to serve as a model for students in the health science disciplines
18. Act as a resource to health care staff and implement educational programs to improve care provided to patients/families. Identify areas of learning need and provide information, refer to information sources, and/or assist the individuals or groups to increase skills.
19. Works in collaboration with faculty and nursing staff to provide on-going patient care and management.
20. Is responsible for timely and accurate written documentation, dictation, or patient care encounters/procedures.
21. Adhere and uphold the UHealth Mission, Vision and Values, and Health Service and Performance Standards.
22. Other duties and projects as assigned.
Practice Based Learning and Clinical Improvement
1. Demonstrates insight into own strengths, limitations and knowledge deficits.
2. Demonstrates initiative to meet identified learning needs using multiple resources.
3. Actively participates in self-evaluation by seeking and utilizing guidance and constructive feedback in a professional manner.
4. Continuously seeks opportunities for clinical advancement, knowledge and skill attainment.
Communication and Interdisciplinary Collaboration
1. Communicates and collaborates effectively with physicians, other health professionals and health related agencies.
2. Works effectively with multidisciplinary team members.
3. Promotes mutual respect and trust working within a team model.
4. Communicates effectively with patients and families, incorporating gender, age, culture, race, religion, disabilities and sexual orientation.
1. Follows ethical principles regarding patient confidentiality, informed consent and unanticipated adverse outcomes.
2. Demonstrates the highest level of accountability for professional practice.
3. Participates in education of students and other health care professionals.
UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI
Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner
4. Maintains effectiveness where circumstances and priorities are changing. Is flexible, resilient and change oriented.
5. Welcomes and participates in opportunities to advance the mission of UHealth through service, scholarship, science and social responsibility.
6. Participates in organizational and departmental meetings, educational opportunities, committees and workgroups as necessary.
Systems Based Practice
1. Considers cost effectiveness and risk/benefit analysis when making decisions about patient care.
2. Uses evidenced-based medicine to systematically analyze and improve patient care practices.
3. Participates in quality initiative/performance activities.
4. Participates in development, evaluates and implements standards of care within area of specialization (policies, protocols, etc.).
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:n10