Manager, Research Laboratory
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-11
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Department of Pathology has an immediate opening for Manager of a Research Laboratory. Responsibilities will include: oversight of biosafety and radioactive safety procedures in use by laboratory personnel; interfacing with Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee and Microbiological Safety Committee for approval of protocols; instruction of laboratory personnel in laboratory techniques; timely ordering of laboratory supplies and maintenance of stockroom; performance of a variety of laboratory procedures.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
- Formulates and implements short- and long-range goals for the operation of the laboratories.
- Implements laboratory policies and procedures and coordinates with research staff on issues which impact laboratory services.
- Serves as a liaison between investigators, research personnel, and staff to solve specific operating problems and improve technical activities.
- Advises on technical procedures, techniques and equipment, and maintains conformance with specific operational standards.
- Maintains quality checks on the safety of laboratories and insures maintenance of the facilities according to good laboratory practices.
- Installs and maintains laboratory equipment in compliance with federal regulations.
- Assures that the laboratory technicians are properly trained in standard operating procedures and equipment specific requirements.
- Assists in the determination of fiscal requirements and in the preparation of budgetary recommendations.
- Compiles and prepares reports and analyses, setting forth progress, adverse trends, and appropriate recommendations and conclusions.
- Establishes and continuously assesses the effectiveness of the internal controls within the unit and compliance with University policies and procedures.
- Ensures employees are trained on controls within the function and on University policy and procedures.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field required
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience required
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Knowledge of business and management principles.
- Ability to direct, manage, implement, and evaluate department operations.
- Ability to establish department goals, and objectives that support the strategic plan.
- Ability to effectively plan, delegate and/or supervise the work of others.
- Ability to lead, motivate, develop, and train others.
- Must be able to workout supervision and considerable latitude of independent judgment is required.
- Must process leadership qualities and skills.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience and/or certifications may be considered.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:r8