Sr. Manager, Research Administration
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-11
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Department of Medicine is seeking a full-time Sr. Manager of Research, Administration for extramural grants management at the Medical Campus.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
- Oversees the research enterprise of the department in pre-award development and post-award management
- Oversees the proposal development of complex proposals and contracts in collaboration with faculty, using discretion and independent judgment to make decisions that impact the successful submission of grant and contract
- Administers the award management of sponsored projects during the post-award phase of the award life cycle, ensuring compliance with sponsor and institution; reviews financial reports and forecasts with division administrators, individual investigators, and key stakeholders; oversees the daily review and approval of financial transactions
- Prepares fiscal budget projections for sponsored research, detailing expenditures (personnel and non-personnel), projected balances, and future funding forecasting, up to five years
- Facilitates at least quarterly meetings with key departmental & divisional leadership and finance unit to review current and projected grant portfolio, including prospective proposals submissions Handles the day-to-day operations and objectives in support of the research unit and portfolio
- Performs periodic quality audits on productivity (Database trackers, Goals Reports, among others) to maintain productivity records to define and adjust metrics for the research unit/individual
- Contributes to the development of divisional and departmental plans and objectives, including and not limited to all administrative, financial, and human resources functions in support of the research projects, using discretion and independent judgment
- Assists Director in the development of standard operating procedures and workflow processes for the department; identifies, evaluates, and recommends process improvements in on all areas relating to streamlining processes and increasing efficiency to maximize resources, ensuring effective and efficient workflow and adherence to quality standards for department and self
- Provides recommendations and ideas regarding strategy and operational initiatives supporting the strategic plans and operations of the team and department
- Oversees, manages, evaluates, and monitors performance of direct reports by developing annual target goals for supporting staff; meets regularly and provides feedback to staff on goals and accomplishments in performance evaluations
- Trains, develops, and mentors staff, providing instruction, guidance, and reference materials for University and agency-specific policies and procedures
- Oversees the large, complex, and highly diversified research portfolio of the Division of Infectious Diseases, including proposal development and post-award management, totaling at least $12M annually
- Oversees the submission of 40+ proposals annually from more than 20+ faculty and researchers and over 35+ sponsors, mainly federal and industry
- Interacts with various federal, state, foundation, and industry sponsors (40% federal, 10% state, 10% foundation, 40% industry/other)
- Manages 65+ active sponsored awards, involving clinical and non-clinical research, fellowship/training grants, conference grants, and service contracts; total anticipated funding across all project years is $80M
- Manages complex awards including multi-PI, multi-site, and multi-project grants with several sub-accounts and monthly to quarterly deliverables, totaling up to $2M annually per award
- Tracks the effort for all 100+ research faculty and staff, identifies possibly gaps in funding, and monitors effort certifications as required
- Prepares fiscal budget projections for research totaling at least $12M annually and meets regularly with division administrator and/or division chief
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities, as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field required, Master’s Degree in Business Administration or related field preferred.
- Professional certification in research administration is preferred.
- Minimum of five years relevant experience required, preferably in a high-volume research environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- High level of interpersonal skills is required
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills
- Proficient knowledge of Excel and MS Office Suite (Word, Access, PowerPoint)
- Ability to analyze data and formulate conclusions
- Ability to learn changing technologies related to grants and contracts management
- Demonstrates leadership abilities and skills shown by successfully leading teams/groups in projects, work assignments, etc.
- Well-organized, self-directed, quality driven team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates ability to manage, mentor, train and educate other grants and contracts professionals
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects/tasks simultaneously
- Ability to adapt quickly to diverse situations and prioritize multiple assignments; Requires extreme flexibility and ability to function in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, and coordination of staff and resources
- Knowledge of sponsored (federal, state, or industry) rules and regulations relating to research grant and/or contract activity
Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience and/or certifications may be considered.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c108