Sr. Accounting Assistant
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-11
Current Employees:If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Transforming LivesThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Sr. Accounting Assistant applies accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information and prepares accurate reports and statements to ensure appropriate accounting control procedures in the assigned division(s). Furthermore, the Sr. Accounting Assistant acts as mentor to junior staff members to develop talent and ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
Responsible for processing departmental invoices for payment. Responsible for obtaining approvals from Facilities Managers on all invoices prior to sending to Accounts Payable. Ensuring that all purchase orders are valid and accurate with sufficient funds prior to sending invoices to Accounts Payable. Work closely with outside vendors, contractors, and suppliers to ensure the department is current with all invoices/bills. Create requests for purchase orders, change orders, and close out unnecessary open purchase orders as needed, through the University’s ERP system (“Workday”).
Create work orders through the Facilities work order management system (“TMA”) as needed. Responsible for performing charge-outs/cost recoveries through the “TMA” work order management system. Prepare, examine and analyze accounting records, financial statements, or other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards. Research & resolve discrepancies within departmental accounts. Prepare reports and variance analysis as needed. Perform journals as needed. Assist with annual budget preparation. Assist in reporting year-end accruals. Prepare deposits as needed. Perform other duties as assigned. Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets
Department Specific Functions
- Assist in the preparation of the annual operating budget for the department.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly variance reports between plan and actual amounts.
- Investigate significant variances between plan and actual amounts.
- Monitor and reconcile accounts to verify that disbursements/payments and expenses were allocated accurately and posted to the correct accounts.
- Create “standing” & “contract” purchase orders as needed.
- Reviews “Purchase Order Requests” via Workday to ensure each request aligns with departmental standards for documentation and accuracy.
- Submit/upload invoices via Workday for payment once a Facility Manager and/or the Executive Director has verified that the work has been completed. Invoices must be matched to a corresponding valid purchase order prior to submission to upload in Workday.
- Research any discrepancies between approved purchase orders & vendor invoices, follow up with corrections.
- Request monthly statements from all vendors and obtain all open invoices to review and ensure payment in a timely manner.
- Assist with department inquiries regarding rent expenses charged for space occupied on/within leased property.
- Serve as a backup in performing routine transmission of the Facilities Work Order Management System (TMA) file and the University’s general ledger system, as well as utilities charge out file with the University’s service provider as needed.
- Process journal entries as needed.
- Create work orders as needed through the Facilities work order management system (TMA).
- Other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent
Accounting degree preferred.
Certification and Licensing:
Minimum 3 years of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting procedures and principles.
- Knowledge of budget control methods, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to prepare financial and accounting records.
- Ability to analyze, consolidate, and interpret accounting data.
- Ability to compile, organize, interpret, and communicate accounting data and results concisely.
- Ability to manage a budget and work within the constraints of that budget.
- Excellent Microsoft EXCEL skills required.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with the skills to manage multiple tasks and deadlines, establish priorities, set objectives, and achieve stated goals.
- Ability to work as a team or independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer and organizational skills.
- Strong customer service focus.
- Ability to learn quickly and has an eagerness to grow.
The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, tuition remission and more.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University Of Miami Miller School Of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c103