Laboratory Technician #499861
Laboratory Technician #499861FTE:
Mechanical EngineeringJob Summary/Basic Function:
The Laboratory Technician for the department of mechanical engineering supports the mission of teaching and research in the department, as well as College of Engineering at Lamar University.
The technician will be responsible for daily operation and maintenance of computers and equipment in teaching and research laboratories. The technician will set up and assist faculty in conducting lab sessions in the department. The technician will coordinate with faculty in identifying, pricing, and purchasing computers and lab equipment to support teaching and research activities in the department and College of Engineering. The technician will provide training and mentoring to students that need to use computers and lab equipment for their course work and research.
In addition to operation and maintenance of computers and lab equipment, the applicant will need to perform documentation, record keeping, routine maintenance, and inventory management. Applicant must be handy, organized, self-motivated, and a life-learner with an established track record of being involved in education and is willing to participate in the educational mission of tile department, College and Lamar University.
The successful applicant is expected to provide excellent customer service to the department, College of Engineering and Lamar University community.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Ensure computers and lab equipment are in proper operating conditions (troubleshoot issues, perform preventive maintenance, and schedule repairs).
2. Maintain, clean, schedule, and ensure safety precautious in the computer, teaching and research labs.
3. Assist and advise students regarding proper use and operation of lab equipment and appropriate safety precautions.
4. Ensure and safeguard supply inventory and perform annual departmental fixed-asset inventory check.
5. Coordinate with facilities maintenance and IT Services to troubleshoot and resolve facility, computer, and laboratory issues.
6. Attend and participate in departmental and college meetings.
Other duties may be assigned to this position on a regular or occasional basis to respond to needs of the department.
Minimum Education Requirement:
Two-year associate degree in one of the technical areas: technology, engineering or related field.
Minimum Experience Required:
• At least 2 years of laboratory management experience maintaining in an educational
environment managing daily operations, maintenance, inventory, and upkeep of computers and laboratory equipment including a machine shop·
• At least 2 years of experience working with students in an academic teaching laboratory
setting up and conducting lab experiments.
• At least 2 years of experience in specifying and purchasing computers and laboratory
• Experience in setting up computers, installing software, and maintaining daily operations of computers in the lab.
• Experience operating typical machining equipment found in a machine shop (lathes, CNC, mills, grinders, drill press, MlG/TIG welding, etc.).
• Experience operating and maintaining 3-D printers and rapid prototyping machines, TEM, SEM, and other research instrumentation.
• Experience setting up and conducting lab experiments in materials and engineering labs.
• Ability to troubleshoot and resolve issues independently.
• Ability to effectively communicate with students and faculty in a multi-cultural workforce.
• Understanding and maintaining computer and laboratory safety issues.
• Ability to work with faculty and students on instructional and research projects.
The applicant will be able to perform physical tasks such as lifting heavy objects weighing up to 50 lbs., handling and operation of laboratory equipment, and operating heavy machinery in a laboratory setting. Some activities may require the applicant to work outdoors for a long period, perform desk-based computer tasks; and possess skills to clearly communicate with students, faculty, and staff of diverse background.
This position may require occasional evening and/or weekends to meet department, college, and university needs.
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement:
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Preferred Qualifications:
Preferred Education Requirement:
Bachelor’s degree in the same areas listed above is preferred.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Salary:
02/10/2021Open Until Filled: