Business Data Analyst
Category:: Staff and Administrators
Department:: 2150 (IT-Information Technology Servic)
Locations:: Worcester, MA
Posted:: Feb 11, 2021
Closes:: May 31, 2021 - 11:59 PM EDT
Type:: Full-time - Exempt
Ref. No.:: 199015
Position ID:: 128224
About Clark University:
Founded in 1887, Clark was one of the first all-graduate institutions in the United States. Today the University is a highly-ranked, student-centered institution educating approximately 2,350 undergraduate and 1,150 graduate students to be imaginative and contributing citizens of the world and to advance the frontiers of knowledge and understanding through rigorous scholarship and creative effort. This commitment to scholarship and inquiry reflects the University's commitment to "challenge convention and change our world" and to address issues of critical importance to society. It is also reflected by Clark's many national and international distinctions, including recognition for its diversity and inclusion efforts, innovation, community engagement and impact, as a top green campus, and for having a distinguished geography and international development program. Clark has also been included in the groundbreaking Colleges that Change Lives guide since it was first published in 1996.
Clark is located in Worcester, Massachusetts, a dynamic, diverse city "on the rise." The second largest city in New England, Worcester is home to 11 institutions of higher learning and is increasingly recognized for its growing healthcare and biotechnology communities, its thriving cultural scene, and as a vibrant food hub
Provides functional and technical support to users of Clark's administrative information systems and data management tools. Works with supervisor to identify reporting and data analysis needs of the University's administrative departments and partners with teams in IT to provide data and data models that are accurate, reliable, and easily available to users for direct consumption. Educate and train functional departments on how to access and manipulate data in various reporting and business intelligence tools. Work with business partners to elicit, analyze, communicate and validate requirements for changes to business processes, reporting needs and information systems. Maintain and enhance the University's Banner products and integrated systems. Provide project management support, process development advice, and application implementation support including analysis, specifications, documentation, validation testing, and training.
Teamwork, Customer Service, and Project Management
- Meet with functional departments to discuss operational goals, options, and capabilities. Analyze user needs and objectives in conjunction with capabilities and limitations.
- Consult with business users to define and create specifications for administrative system enhancements; translate data and reporting needs into accurate development requirements.
- Act as a liaison between departmental users, IT staff and third-party vendors to clarify requirements, resolve questions and/or or identify tradeoffs between functionality and performance. Consult with other IT staff concerning information systems capabilities and technology. Provide feasibility guidance and cost estimates as needed.
- Serve as an analyst regarding system design and/or data management issues; represent design team in meetings; provide input in determining project scope; define design parameters of the project in consultation with functional units.
- Develop, implement, and support detailed project management plans aimed at improving the efficiency and effectiveness of campus-wide administrative information systems or implementing new systems.
- Work with supervisor to assign priorities to requests and set direction for process and application development.
Technical Support, Reporting, and Data Integrity
- Support, integrate, and maintain third party applications and administrative systems that augment the University's central ERP system - Ellucian Banner. Provide business process analysis, technical support, and problems solving for these systems.
- Develop reports using Evisions' Argos and SQL to support business users' reporting needs.
- Ensure that data standards and administrative office policies & procedures for maintaining data elements within the system are consistently applied.
- In cooperation with supervisor and administrative staff users, develop and implement reporting procedures for Federal, State, and institutional reporting requirements.
- Develop and/or participate in administrative application training seminars, workshops and short courses; develop supporting end-user documentation.
- Other duties as needed by the department and defined by the supervisor.
Teamwork, Customer Service, and Project Management
- A successful candidate for this role will have a demonstrated passion for problem solving; strong project management skills and the proven ability to build trust and work well with all levels of management and technical staff.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Must possess solid decision making skills necessary to plan all elements of applications development and/or implementation project, develop objectives and requirements justification, assign tasks to project members, and manage the overall project.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; sound judgement; the ability to communicate effectively with people at varying levels of computer/data fluency; and the ability to establish collaborative working relationships at all contact levels of the University are required skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; ability to set priorities and work concurrently on multiple tasks and projects; ability to communicate progress/problems to appropriate personnel effectively.
- A high degree of integrity relative to data security and confidentiality of information required.
Technical Skills, Reporting, and Data Integrity
- Strong technical and functional knowledge of Ellucian Banner and/or other complex administrative applications in support of university business procedures required.
- Basic SQL programming skills and experience with enterprise-level reporting and data visualization tools required; experience with Evisions' Argos and Tableau preferred.
- Proven technical competency in Microsoft Office products especially Access and Excel; ability to use these consumer-level tools to pull and manage information from large databases when necessary.
Education and Experience
- A successful candidate for this role will have experience in functional areas within higher education administration, such as Financial Aid, Finance, or Student, with technical capacity and understanding to facilitate communication and cooperation between functional and technical staff.
- BS in information management, computer science or related discipline. A minimum of 3 years experience in a position of comparable complexity and scope. Comparable success and work experience may be considered in lieu of degree requirement.
- Ability to work nights and weekends on an as-needed basis is required.
This is a Full-time position with excellent benefits, which include employee and family tuition benefits, 4 weeks' vacation, generous retirement plan, free use of campus fitness center and many more.
Clark University embraces equal opportunity and affirmative action as core values: we believe that cultivating an environment that embraces and promotes diversity is fundamental to the success of our students, our employees and our community. This commitment applies to every aspect of education, services, and employment policies and practices at Clark. Our commitment to diversity informs our efforts in recruitment, hiring and retention. All positions at Clark share in the responsibility for building a community that values diversity and the uniqueness of others by exhibiting integrity and respect in interacting with all members of the Clark community to create an atmosphere of fairness and belonging. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, inclusive of all women, to apply.
To be considered for this position, you must submit your credentials online. Create a Clark University Careers Account by clicking on the APPLY NOW button below. You will be able to upload the following documents, which are required for consideration:
- Cover letter
See the FAQ for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Already have a Clark University Careers Account? Login to your account to add documents or update your account.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Salary will be commensurate with skills and experience.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The President, after careful consultation with public health experts, Clark's own Health Advisory Board, and the Clark Reopening Committee, among others ? that Clark students, faculty, and staff members will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 no later than July 15 (or earlier for those planning to live or work on campus this summer). Exemptions will be made for medical or disability reasons or religious beliefs, and could be made, at the sole discretion of the University, for other well-documented reasons.