Associate Director for Research and Operations – Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology ...
Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology
University of Illinois
Associate Director for Research and Operations
Oversee the day-to-day operation of the IGB. Including the supervision of all support staff. Provide the Director with support in developing and maintaining relationships within the University of Illinois as well as with private and public partners.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee the day-to day operation of the IGB, which includes the Business Office, the Computer and Network Resource Group, Facilities and Operations, Core Facilities, Communications, Outreach and External Relations. This involves supervision of both academic professional and civil service staff.
- Oversee the IGB budgetary process and all reporting requirements to campus.
- Coordinate the development of large-scale research proposals through the proposal development team.
- Work closely with the Director to support and manage any research theme related needs activities including space assignments, equipment needs, and theme reviews. This includes supervision of the theme clerical support.
- Organize and manage regular meetings of the Scientific Advisory Board and Leadership Council, as well as other major workshops and conferences.
- Identify new opportunities to raise the level of the Institute’s visibility both nationally and internationally.
- Provide confidential advice to the Director on a variety of issues.
- Serve as an ex-officio member of the IGB Executive Committee.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- An earned doctorate in Engineering or Science discipline is strongly preferred or a Master’s degree in Engineering or Science discipline that includes a minimum of 10 years research management experience with increasing leadership responsibility
- Required: Experience working directly with faculty managing complex research programs is essential. Experience supervising academic professional and civil service staff is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent organizational skills, the ability to multi-task and the ability to problem solve a must. Strong interpersonal skills are essential to enable the individual to work with a wide range of people and personalities in a very fast-paced environment. A sincere commitment to advancing diversity, equality and inclusion in all aspects of the IGB is critical.
Appointment Status: This is a full-time, 12-month academic professional appointment at the IGB with regular University benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The starting date is as soon as possible after the close date.
TO APPLY: Applications must be received by February 26, 2021. To apply, all candidates must submit an online profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu by the close of the posting period. Interviews may be conducted prior to the closing date; however, a hiring decision will not be made until after the closing date. Qualified candidates must upload a letter of which details qualifications noted above, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references.
All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. For further information about this specific position, contact Carla Dickey ([email protected]). For questions about the application process, please call 217-244-4522.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
College Name or Administrative Unit:OVCRI Category:2-Administrative Title:Associate Director for Research and Operations – Carl R. Woese Institute for Genomic Biology (IGB) (142124) Open Date:02/11/2021 Close Date:02/26/2021 Organization Name:Institute for Genomic Biology