Ecosystem Research Specialist - Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment (142209)
ECOSYSTEM RESEARCH SPECIALIST
Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Illinois is a world leader in research, teaching, and public engagement. We serve the state, the nation, and the world by creating knowledge, preparing students for lives of impact, and addressing critical societal needs through the transfer and application of knowledge. Illinois is the place where we embrace difference. We embrace it because we value it. Illinois is especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the Illinois community.
PRIMARY POSITION FUNCTION/SUMMARY: The Ecosystem Research Specialist will work with CABBI researchers to maximize value of data collected by CABBI researchers by accelerating data compilation and sharing, developing shared data standards across research groups, and serving as a link between empiricists and modelers.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu.EEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Ecosystem Research Specialist will be . . .
- Working with Sustainability Theme members to identify data needed by the modeling teams and to retrieve, quality check, and share data from the Ecosystem Measurements and Marginal Lands team as well as the Feedstock Production Theme and legacy Energy Biosciences Institute projects
- Working with Sustainability Theme members and counterparts at other Department of Energy Bioenergy Research Centers to compile protocols for data collection, processing, and archival and to facilitate development of community standards for the protocols
- Attending Sustainability Theme and team meetings as well as Feedstocks Theme meetings to identify opportunities for data integration and follow up on meeting action items as appropriate
- Providing support for specific projects within the Sustainability Theme as related to data sharing, such as development of an RShiny app to allow non-modelers to conduct model runs in DayCent and AgroIBIS for sensitivity analysis and hypothesis generation
- Co-supervising hourly employee who works on data compilation under primary supervision of the CABBI Data Manager
- Contributing to manuscript preparation
Education: Required - B.S. degree biology, ecology, environmental sciences or other related disciplines Preferred - M.S. degree biology, ecology, environmental sciences or other related disciplines
Experience: Required - Research experience in ecosystem science or related field, experience running ecosystem-scale models Preferred - Experience using rShiny
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Background in ecosystem science, ecology, biology, environmental science, biogeochemistry or related field. Ability to work independently but also as part of a team. Well developed active listening and written and verbal communication skills. Proficiency with computers, especially Excel MSOffice. Ability to maintain written records. Willingness to learn. Proactive in problem solving; self-sufficient. Preferred - Knowledge of computer programming languages including R, familiarity with ecosystem-scale models, experience collecting ecosystem-level empirical data
Environmental Demands: Work will mostly be performed in a normal office setting. Some travel to and from meetings may be required
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
APPOINTMENT STATUS: Full-time academic professional, grant-supported appointment renewable annually pending continued funding and satisfactory progress within the position. Qualified individuals will be eligible to receive vacation, sick, and personal leave; retirement through the State Universities Retirement System; and group health, dental, vision and life insurance.
START DATE: As soon as possible after the close date
TO APPLY: Applications must be received by March 1, 2021. To apply, all candidates must submit an online profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu by the close of the posting period. Qualified candidates must upload a letter of which details qualifications noted above, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. For further information, please contact Erica Hanson, Human Resources, [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment. As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
College Name or Administrative Unit:OVCRI Category:6-Research Title:Ecosystem Research Specialist - Institute for Sustainability, Energy, and Environment (142209) Open Date:02/11/2021 Close Date:03/01/2021 Organization Name:Inst for Sustain, Enrgy, and Env