Lab Assistant (9603C) 15437
Lab Assistant (9603C) 15437 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: February 25, 2021
The Building Blocks of Cognition Laboratory, headed by Dr. Silvia Bunge, studies the cognitive and neural processes that support reasoning, memory, and goal-directed behavior in humans. To investigate these phenomena, the lab leverages behavioral, brain imaging, and eyetracking methods. This opening is for a full-time research assistant to work on a new NSF grant titled, "How does the brain represent abstract concepts?" The project will be conducted in collaboration with David Kraemer at Dartmouth College, Keith Holyoak and Hongjing Lu, and other trainees. The Lab Assistant will be responsible for recruiting healthy young adults for fMRI research, collecting behavioral and brain imaging data, assisting with data analysis and data sharing, coordinating with trainees at the other sites, and carrying out general lab tasks.
This role will involve work in the following locations: The Department of Psychology at Berkeley Way West and the Brain Imaging Center (BIC).
- Recruit study participants, conduct interviews, and manage communication with selected participants; prepare materials for participant sessions and experiments
- Help PIs and collaborators to analyze neuroimaging data acquired from study participants.
- Collect data; store, protect, and analyze records; manage physical and digital files.
- Perform general lab tasks like ordering supplies, scheduling meetings, managing day-to-day operations; attend lab meetings.
- Training undergraduate student assistants in data collection and associated tasks.
- Conduct literature searches and manage references.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong background in STEM.
- Extensive laboratory research experience, ideally in cognitive neuroscience.
- Experience running statistical analyses in R or Python.
- Highly developed organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and communicate updates.
Possess one of the following combinations of education/training:
- Graduation from high school or a General Education Diploma, and two years of laboratory experience
- Two years of college including courses in the natural, physical or social sciences and one year of laboratory experience
- An equivalent combination of education and experience, including knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
- Experience conducting MRI scans and managing the data.
- Undergraduate experience and/or equivalent experience in Psychology, Neuroscience, or another STEM field.
Salary & Benefits
This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience (stepped rates).
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Technical Unit (TX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at:
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=15437&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency