SERVICE ACCESS MANAGER
Duke University Hospital is consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking research. Duke University Hospital has 957 inpatient beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major surgery suite containing 51 operating rooms; an endo-surgery center; an Ambulatory Surgery Center with nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional radiology area. In fiscal year 2018, Duke University Hospital admitted 42,916 patients and had 1,085,740 outpatient visits in fiscal year 2017.
U.S News & World Report named Duke University Hospital #1 in North Carolina and #1 in the Raleigh-Durham area in 2018-19.
Duke University Hospital is ranked in the top 20 nationally for seven adult specialties, including cardiology and heart surgery, nephrology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology, rheumatology, and urology.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive, geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
LOCATION: DURHAM, NC 27710
General Description of the Job Class
Supervise and coordinate clinic (department) service activities to achieve continuous and optimal patient care, providing the highest level of customer service, while ensuring compliance with PDC and PRMO policies and maintaining positive financial outcomes. Promotes a positive work environment that values individuals, teams and their commitment.
Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
The Service Access Manager is an integral part of the patient care team in the clinic /service area and is responsible for the management of revenue cycle front end related activities with a focus on patient access activities; loss prevention activities (denial prevention; cash collections; referral and order management etc…) and coordination with the clinical teams. Specific activities included in the oversight but are not limited to patient registration, scheduling, check-in/check-out, point of service collections; cash management, referral management, financial counseling and clearance of patients, authorizations and referrals for procedures and services as well as patient and workflow coordination. The Service Access Manager is responsible for the personnel related activities to include staff development, recruitment, retention, hiring, training and policy and procedure compliance. The Service Access Manager is responsible for living and modeling Duke’s values and demonstrating expected behaviors while contributing to creating a positive patient experience and building a positive work environment. The Service Access Manager will maintain a professional image in appearance and over the phone. The Service Access Manager contributes to ensuring the registration desk; Financial Care Counselor office (s) and waiting areas safeguard patient privacy, confidentiality and safety and are well maintained and clean.
Supervise and coordinate activities of the clinic/service area
- Develop and implement strategies to improve the work culture including comprehensive training, employee development and provision of resources.
- Direct and coordinate all scheduling, check-in, check-out, and financial service activities within the clinic / department.
- Establish and maintain processes for efficient patient flow and appropriate utilization of resources.
- Actively participate on committees to achieve efficiencies and desired outcomes; ensure follow-up on action plans (operating processes, policies and procedures, denial prevention, revenue enhancements, supply utilization, personnel, etc…) and monitor success.
- Monitor quality and manage workload to include patient work queue, claim edit, referral and order work queue management. Effectively develop and distribute work schedules and assignment of duties.
- Serve as a departmental representative on committees –inter and intra departmental.
- Able to perform same duties as subordinates.
- Demonstrates accountability within areas of assigned responsibility.
- Achieves Balanced Score Card targets related to Clinical Quality.
Personnel related activities
- Communicate and model the values of DUHS, its entities and PRMO through orientation, development, mentoring, performance feedback, leadership rounding and evaluation of staff.
- Ensures all personnel attend core and job specific training, and complete orientation within probationary period. Ensure and document staff competency for areas of responsibility.
- Provide monthly performance feedback (minimally) and perform mid year and annual performance reviews. Recognize staff for work performed.
- Plan and implement strategies to promote effective recruitment, retention and development of diverse work teams.
- Perform leadership rounding routinely with staff and patients.
- Effectively communicate expectations and goals to staff.
- Achieve Work Culture Balanced Scorecard goals.
- Makes hiring and termination recommendations / decisions.
- Instruct staff on new methods, policies and procedures.
- Maintains payroll system; recruitment files and ensure personnel files are up to date and staff are informed of policy and procedure changes.
- Achieves or exceeds Balanced Scorecard targets related to Work Culture.
- Greets and provides assistance to patients, visitors and staff. Explains policies and procedures, and resolves problems.
- Gathers necessary documentation to support proper handling of inquiries/complaints. Follows up timely.
- Models words that work, service recovery and RELATE. Ensure staff live Duke’s Values and expected behaviors and utilize words that work, service recovery and RELATE.
- Courtesy and professional conduct is maintained at all times.
- Achieve Customer Service Balanced Scorecard goals related to Patient and Staff Satisfaction
Department (Clinic) Responsibility
- Maintain liaison with medical and other professional and departmental staff in administering policies and procedures regarding revenue cycle activities, patient access and flow.
- Resolve issues relating to department (clinic) services and processes.
- Share KPI and Balanced scorecard performance on a monthly basis with clinic leadership including action plans to enhance/improve performance.
- Process data requests for clinic leadership as requested.
- Enforce regulatory and compliance requirements (HIPPA, JCAHO, etc…).
- Accountable for understanding, enforcing and following all internal controls, particularly as they relate to cash management policies and procedures.
- Achieve Clinical Quality and Internal Business Balanced Scorecard goals.
Financial / Budget
- Develop / implement strategies to increase cash collections.
- Provide budget recommendations and projections to PRMO Finance in coordination with HCA/COD approval.
- Monitor monthly budget performance. Verify and reconcile expenditures of budgeted funds. Variances and discrepancies should be researched with PRMO Finance recommendations.
- Identify cost savings within operation.
- Achieve Financial Balanced Scorecard goals.
- Generate, analyze and/or interpret entity (PDC / DUH, DRAH, DRH) and PRMO specific reports relating to department performance, staff performance, financial performance and execute appropriate action plan. Utilize dashboard and reporting effectively to manage business on a daily basis.
- Attend meetings and training sessions.
- Staff and departmental meeting attendance.
- System, regulatory and policy training.
- Regulatory meetings.
- Service Access Manager meeting.
- FCC and PSA Education sessions and Appointment Center Operations Meeting as appropriate.
Required Qualifications at this Level
- High school diploma required.
- A Bachelor's degree in a related field is strongly preferred.
- Requires six years of experience of a progressive nature in a healthcare setting to become knowledgeable of the complex activities associated with healthcare services.
- An Associate's degree in healthcare or business may substitute for two years of experience.
- A Bachelor's degree in healthcare or business may substitute for four years of experience.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Data entry experience
- Skilled in working with spreadsheets, databases and power point presentations
- Medical terminology knowledge
- Ability to organize and prioritize
- Strong customer service background and experience
- Ability create and apply specific departmental policies, rules and regulations relating to verifying patient information, collecting payments and maintaining records and forms
- Knowledge and ability to apply situational leadership skills
- Ability to effectively lead teams and establish and maintain effective relationships with other personnel
- Knowledge of general accounting principles
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
On occasion evening or weekend work may be required. Position may be subject to numerous interruptions.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.