MANAGER CTIL, DUHS CLIN LABS
The Clinical Transplantation and Immunology Laboratory (CTIL) is seeking a Laboratory Manager/General Supervisor. CTIL provides high complexity histocompatibility testing in support of both solid organ and hematopoietic stem cell transplantation and is accredited by ASHI, CLIA and UNOS. The Duke Transplant Center is one of the largest in the country and facilitates the transplant of kidney, pancreas, liver, heart, lung, intestine, and composite tissues. Our internationally recognized adult and pediatric hematopoietic stem cell transplant programs utilize both related and unrelated donors.
The CTIL Laboratory Manager will oversee diagnostic testing personnel within a 24-hour laboratory environment (3 shifts). This position includes administrative and personnel management duties as well as oversight of testing accuracy, efficiency, and regulatory compliance. The CTIL Lab Manager oversees day-to-day supervision of 20+ testing personnel and review of testing results. This position is under the direction and supervision of the Laboratory Directors and, together with DUHS Clinical Laboratory Leadership, ensures continued excellence and the achievement of system-wide strategic goals.
- Provides general supervision of laboratory staff with regards to personnel and operational management.
- Interviews and hires laboratory staff and oversees orientation and training defined by position requirements.
- Monitors quality metrics and promotes continuous quality improvements in testing, customer service, and employee satisfaction.
- Manages capital budget and operating budget remaining consistent with the goals and priorities of CTIL and DUHS.
- Participates in the preparation, editing and maintenance of all policy and procedure manuals and documents for proficiency testing and laboratory inspections. Ensures that laboratory personnel comply with all applicable policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
- Provides professional growth opportunities for staff through internal and external educational activities, histocompatibility certification, involvement in professional committees, and continued competency training.
- Ensures the delivery of high quality, efficient, cost effective clinical services
- Maintains technical expertise and participates in test verification and Supervisory On-Call.
- Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology, Medical Laboratory Science or equivalent discipline required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in an ASHI/CAP accredited clinical HLA laboratory, including two or more years in a supervisory or leadership capacity.
- Analytical and organizational ability necessary to provide effective operational, administrative, financial and personnel management in assigned areas.
- Interpersonal abilities necessary to deal effectively with all levels of laboratory and clinical staff.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrates proficiency in HLA analysis software, LIS, and web-based applications.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.