Publication Editor & Content Producer
Job location: Worcester
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-12
JOB TITLEPublication Editor & Content ProducerLOCATIONWorcesterDEPARTMENT NAMEContent StrategyDIVISION NAMEWorcester Polytechnic Institute - WPIJOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARYThis position plays a critical role on the Marketing Content Strategy & Publications team within the Division of Marketing Communications. As managing editor of the WPI Journal—an award-winning publication targeted at alumni, academic peers, faculty and staff, prospective students, employees, and other stakeholders and influencers—this individual will produce the highest quality quarterly print magazine and advance a comprehensive and complementary digital strategy. This individual also contributes to creating additional strategic content experiences, print and digital. An experienced and versatile writer, editor, and storyteller with an eye for creative expression and design, this individual will partner with colleagues within Marketing
Communications and around campus to identify and produce strategic and engaging stories and integrated content for multiple platforms and audiences, including students and families, alumni, faculty and staff, and peer institutions.JOB DESCRIPTION
Responsibilities & Duties
• Provide strategic direction for the WPI Journal, in collaboration with the Director of Marketing Content Strategy & Publications and colleagues in Marketing Communications, with the goal of promoting the strengths, depth, breadth, and diversity of the university and its community in alignment with WPI strategic priorities and the university brand.
• Plan, oversee, and assign all magazine content; direct and supervise assignments for writers, designers, photographers, and other contributors (both in-house and freelance); work closely with in-house creative team and provide art and creative direction on visual concepts, photography, graphics, and layout of both print and web editions.
• Edit all magazine content for style, tone, length, and university brand standards; write short-form (and occasionally long-form) stories; review, edit, and manage content through every stage of production.
• Shepherd the magazine through the necessary proofing and approval processes; work collaboratively with production team to set production schedules and deadlines and ensure timely and accurate production and mailing; conduct press checks as needed.
• Build strong, effective relationships across campus; attend events and meetings as needed to stay abreast of campus activities, news, and potential stories; and establish and lead an interdisciplinary, cross-campus magazine advisory board.
• Serve as editor and strategic lead of the WPI Journal website; upload all magazine content, including multimedia, in line with best practices and user experience goals identify complementary online-exclusive and digital experiences; and produce stories and content to be published and promoted in between print issues to continue to drive engagement.
• Develop and drive a larger digital content strategy for the magazine, in collaboration with Director of Marketing Content Strategy & Publications, including targeted email campaigns, social media content, and opportunities to cross-promote magazine content on wpi.edu; continually look for new and innovative ways to grow and promote the magazine in line with changing audience preferences; track and report on website and email analytics and use data to inform editorial decisions.
• Provide content, writing, and editorial support for high level Marketing Communications publications and initiatives.
• Plan, manage, and steward the WPI Journal print and digital budget.
• Perform other duties as assigned. Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Demonstrated writing, editing, organizational, and project management skills with a sense of design and photography; sound editorial judgment and experience researching and selecting sources, conducting interviews, and ensuring the accuracy of written pieces.
• Ability to juggle multiple assignments, both small and large, and to manage workload appropriately in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment; exceptional attention to detail.
• Proficiency in website content management systems; hands-on Drupal and Wordpress experience strongly preferred.
• Familiarity with the publications and print process; experience in or understanding of higher education is preferred.
• Ability to communicate and interact diplomatically with a wide variety of stakeholders, including senior university leaders, faculty members, students, alumni, and donors; a willingness to adapt and be audience focused.
• Ability to be both a self-starter and a collaborative and proactive team player; willing to seek input and take guidance from colleagues, influence a team, and lend talent and expertise when needed. Required Qualifications
• BS or MS in Journalism, Communications, English, or a related field required
• Minimum of eight years’ experience as a journalist, writer/editor, or marketing communications professional in an integrated print/digital environment; work experience in higher education or nonprofit organizations preferred.
• Portfolio of writing samples required.
WPI is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are looking for candidates who can support our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.FLSA STATUSUnited States of America (Exempt)WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.