Certification Services Specialist
Certification Services Specialist
The George Mason University Office of the University Registrar invites applicants for a full-time Certification Services Specialist position. George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
The Office of the University Registrar is one of several central units under the authority of the Office of the Provost and reports to the Associate Provost for Academic Initiatives and Services. The Certification Services Specialist is a cross functional position that will report directly to the Assistant Registrar for Certifications in the area of Veteran’s Certifications, Enrollment reporting, and FERPA Compliance.
- Assist the Registrar’s Office in meeting program requirements and customer service needs, including high-level, customer-oriented services to students, faculty and administrative customers while balancing competing needs of various constituencies as fairly as possible and consistent with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, as amended, and other applicable laws;
- Maintain educational veteran student records and update data according to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) requirements;
- Serve as a Veterans Educational Benefits Certifying Official for credit and noncredit programs, and provide timely and accurate certifications of enrollment regarding veteran students’ eligibility for educational benefits;
- Coordinate with university offices and programs (e.g., Office of Military Services, and the Office of International Programs and Services);
- Provide information regarding official verifications of degree awards and enrollment status, referring students to online request system using Patriot Web and referring third parties to the National Student Clearinghouse (Clearinghouse);
- Process special requests for full time equivalency status, international authentication for apostille and other similar matters; serve as a notary public for international authentications and other requirements;
- Provide assistance to faculty, staff, and students within George Mason University for FERPA related questions and concerns.
Major Position Function:
- Serve as a certifying official for students eligible to receive veterans’ educational benefits from the VA;
- Coordinate the enrollment verification process in accordance with VA rules and procedures;
- Provide customers with the procedures and guidance for establishing and reporting special assistance to Chapter 30, Chapter 33, Chapter 35, 1606 and 1607 and Yellow Ribbon veterans and their dependents;
- Act as a certification official for the Registrar’s office to assure accuracy and compliance of student files;
- Fulfill federal and commonwealth system requirements for ensuring accurate and complete data, institutional approvals and compliance requirements;
- Utilize Caspio, PatriotWeb, Ellucian Banner, Webextender, and other software and systems used in certifying students;
- Participate in training regarding veterans, enrollment reporting, FERPA compliance and coordination developments.
- Provide high-quality and responsive customer and stakeholder services;
- Collaborate effectively with all involved offices and officials;
- Provide assigned services and office support, including efforts to improve office operations and enhance efficiencies; and
- Serve as a functional back-up in the area of enrollment verifications and degree certifications.
- Perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the Registrar from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Bachelor’s degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Customer service experience and strong social skills, especially in dealing with assertive clientele and sensitive matters;
- Excellent oral and written skills;
- Demonstrated ability to process work during periods of high demand;
- Familiarity with program needs, including financial and regulatory compliance; and
- Willing to perform other duties as assigned.
- Familiar with VA-Once system.
- Experience with maintaining and using student data and reporting systems;
- Experience with programs addressing student needs and eligibility requirements;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities;
- Experience in coordinating information, problem-solving and demonstrating initiative;
- Experience in preparing for agency annual oversight audits; and
- Experience in working as a veteran educational benefits certifying official.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
For full consideration, applicants can apply for position number 01392z at https://jobs.gmu.edu by February 24, 2021; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and a list of three professional references with contact information.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.