PG190792EPInternal Recruitment :
Associate DirectorAnticipated Hiring Range:
Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm with some night and weekend work. Occasional overnight travel to student and professional conferences is required.Job Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Office of Undergraduate ResearchAbout the Department:
The primary function of the Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR) is to support and promote mentored research opportunities for undergraduate students at NC State University. The OUR connects students with research mentors and opportunities, provides research funding, and facilitates the communication of research. By taking part in undergraduate research students experience firsthand how inquiry, discovery, and creativity can culminate in advancements in knowledge that change the world.Essential Job Duties:
- NC State University, the Office of Undergraduate Research in University College, and the Division of Academic and Student Affairs prize research into real-world challenges as a vital enhancement to classroom instruction. The Associate Director supports this mission by identifying, creating, and promoting mentored research opportunities with NC State faculty or other national and international experts. Research opportunities are available in virtually all areas, including science, technology, arts, and humanities.
- The Associate Director coordinates OUR programming including organization, logistics, student interaction, faculty/mentor interaction, campus outreach, and program assessment. Current programs supported by the OUR include: Student Research/Travel Awards, Research Symposia, Connect (a series focusing on research areas at NC State), external student research conferences, and campus-wide Summer Research Programming (REUs).
- The Associate Director represents the OUR at campus events to communicate the benefits and opportunities associated with participation in Undergraduate Research as a High Impact Practice including: University Open House, New Student Orientation, specific courses, student organizations, administrative councils, etc.
- The Associate Director performs advisory functions for OUR programming including: individual student advising, support of student peer mentors, and faculty undergraduate research program development.
- The Associate Director will develop and deliver academic content and curriculum for the purpose of supporting undergraduate research which can range from student/mentor workshops to full-semester courses.
- The Associate Director will actively seek strategies for expanding services and opportunities provided by the OUR, paying particular attention to serving a diverse student population.
- The Associate Director is responsible for the content and editing of event programs, marketing materials, websites, and research journals associated with the OUR.
- The Associate Director will review budgets and expenditures for OUR to assist in planning. Additionally, the Associate Director will maintain databases of students, volunteers, and alumni to assist with outreach, departmental decision making, and development opportunities.
- The Associate Director serves as the supervisor for the OUR Program Associate. Additionally, the Associate Director will train and supervise student employees.
- The Associate Director will also complete other duties as assigned by the OUR Director.
- Require post-baccalaureate credentials or a bachelor’s degree plus alternative or equivalent professional training and experience may be substituted for the advanced degree on an exceptional basis.
- Demonstrated strong communication and organizational skills, mentorship of students in research, evidence of strong leadership and outreach. Demonstrated mastery of database platforms and experience in the assessment of academic programs.
- Terminal degree (Ph.D., Ed.D., etc.) from an accredited university plus demonstrated strong communication and organizational skills (marketing and social media), grant writing success, mentorship of students in research, evidence of strong leadership and outreach, and fundraising.
- Mastery of Apple hardware/software and Google Suite applications is also preferred.
- No required licenses or certifications.
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
02/11/2021Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until Filled.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Mandatory - Fire/Explosions, Mandatory - Medical Emergencies, Mandatory - Hazardous Material Incidents, Mandatory - Transportation Accidents, Mandatory - Evacuations/Natural Hazards, Mandatory - Utilities/Infrastructure Failure, Mandatory - Threats of Violence/Terrorism/Interpersonal Emergencies, Other, Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
246150 - Undergraduate ResearchAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.