Research Assistant III, Immunobiology and Microbial Pathogenesis, Dr. Daniel Hollern
Employment History Include your last ten (10) years of employment history, or length of your employment history if less, including all positions (even those that are not relevant to this position) and periods of unemployment. Incomplete information could disqualify you from further consideration.
The Research Assistant III is responsible for select lab managerial duties in support of the Principal Investigator’s (PI) studies along with performing and contributing to research on assigned projects within the lab. Duties include establishing and performing independent research and analysis on projects that involve the study of human and murine B cells. Flow cytometry, single cell sequencing, special proteomics and transcriptomics (training will be available), and various cellular and molecular biology techniques will be an essential part of this research. Murine models of cancer and immunology are heavily employed in the Hollern lab. May provide task instruction, training, and guidance to lower level personnel.
(80%) Research Support
- Library prep for various omics platforms.
- Plasmid assembly and protein purification.
- Handling of tumor specimens in human and murine models.
- Perform various techniques in molecular biology such as: RNA extraction and analysis.
- Maintenance of data sets, lab supplies, and general lab operations.
(20%) Lab Management
- Manages resources/supplies and coordinates research projects to achieve specific goals and timetables.
- Identifies problems with the lab procedures, escalates to PI when needed with proposed solutions, and implements corrective action as needed.
- Provides technical expertise, answers research related, operational and Salk procedural questions.
- Oversees general lab maintenance/organization, upkeep, and compliance with safety initiatives.
- Contributes to and oversees the development of new techniques and standardized operating protocols (SOP), utilizing new tools that lead to the modification of methodology and increased quality and reliability of research.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in molecular or cell biology including experience with flow cytometry, mammalian cell culture, cellular and molecular biology techniques.
- Bachelor's degree in biological sciences, or equivalent.
- MS or PhD degree in biological sciences.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Theoretical and hands on knowledge of tissue culture and molecular biology techniques.
- Ability to perform highly complex experiments and techniques with high levels of reliability and accuracy within time constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and oversee independent research. This includes the ability to (a) develop, maintain, execute, and complete research projects of varying size and scope; (b) critically read, understand, and extract information from published medical, chemical, and biological literature to prepare background information for scientific abstracts, manuscripts, lectures, and grant proposals; (c) perform basic data and statistical analysis; and (d) produce high-quality abstracts, manuscripts, lectures, and grant applications.
- Ability to independently design experiments and debug protocols.
- Ability to manage and track large numbers of samples meticulously without mixup or cross contamination.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and work independently.
- Skill in the operation and maintenance of various lab equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, prioritize work and independently manage multiple, diverse and competing priorities while meeting deadlines; plan and develop meaningful objectives; and integrate multiple work initiatives into the overall department goals.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in researching information and analyzing data to arrive at valid conclusions, recommendations, and plans of action.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Must be willing to work in an animal-related research environment.
- Must be willing to work an adjusted schedule to support research needs.
- Successful completion of the Institute’s background investigation.
- Willing to sign an employee confidentiality agreement.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/MENTAL ACTIVITIES/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
This position requires constant handling, seeing, sitting, touching/feeling, analyzing, calculating, reasoning and working inside.