Director of Major Gifts
Director of Major GiftsPosition Number :
002363Vacancy Open to :
All CandidatesDepartment :
FDH ECU Educational Foundation AdmDepartment Homepage :
ecupirateclub.comAdvertising Department :
PIRATE CLUBDivision :
AthleticsClassification Title :
Major Gift OfficerWorking Title :
Director of Major GiftsNumber of Vacancies :
1Full Time Equivalent (FTE) :
1.0Full Time or Part Time :
Full TimeRecruitment Range:
Commensurate with QualificationsPosition Location (City) :
Non-FacultyJob Category :
Non-Faculty Senior AdministrativeOrganizational Unit Overview:
The Primary Purpose of the Pirate Club or ECU Educational Foundation is to serve East Carolina University and its student-athletes as the friend raising and fundraising organization for East Carolina University’s Division I Athletics Program, representing the highest principals of honesty and integrity. By conducting annual fund, endowment and capital campaigns in support of student-athlete scholarships, athletic facility enhancements and other programmatic needs the Pirate Club seeks to bring positive recognition to East Carolina University and the region it serves.Job Duties :
The Director of Major Gifts will oversee all major gift activity for athletics including organizing, coordinating, identifying, qualifying, and soliciting major gift prospects. The position will work closely with the Senior Athletic Staff to implement and manage the major giving program. Reporting to the Executive Committee of the ECU Educational Foundation and the Senior Associate Director of Athletics/Executive Director of the Pirate Club, the individual serving in this position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
• Implement the major giving plan and coordinate fundraising activity related to meeting athletic department capital and endowment needs and objectives.
• Oversee the identification, qualification, cultivation, and solicitation of prospective major prospects.
• Oversee an efficient prospect management screening system for athletics’ annual scholarship giving and major giving programs.
• Oversee the development of appropriate case material, proposals and other printed and audio-visual marketing materials related to major gifts.
• Prepare and present gift proposals to prospects with the input and assistance of administrators, coaches, and other appropriate internal key stakeholders. Proposals may involve establishing multi-year commitments, as well as helping to facilitate gifts of real estate, personal property, securities, and gifts in wills, trusts, annuities, and insurance.
• Work with volunteer leadership in their efforts to assist in the successful completion of a major gift plan including prospect screening and solicitation
• Work with the Senior Associate Director of Athletics / Executive Director of the Pirate Club to ensure that the efforts of the Chancellor, the Director of Athletics and Head Coaches are focused on major gift prospects.
• Work with the appropriate athletic department and university officials to formulate and implement a program budget and establish appropriate gift acceptance guidelines.
• Serve as liaison to Athletics Ticket Office on TowneBank Tower premium seating (suites, loge, club).
• Supervise and motivate relevant program staff to perform their duties and maximize their impact on successful establishment of an athletics major giving program.
• Prepare presentations for major giving progress reports at Pirate Club Executive Committee Meetings.
• Manage a portfolio of 200 donors.
• Assist the Executive Director and major gift officers in all facets of capital campaigns, endowments and planned giving.
• Build quality relationships and work collaboratively and professionally with Pirate Club, athletics, and University staff, students, business vendors and all donors and stakeholders.
• Abide by all written policies and procedures of ECU, the Department of Athletics, The Educational Foundation (Pirate Club), the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), and all applicable conferences or associations.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Nights, weekends, holidays, extended hours, and travel are required in the performance of duties
Minimum qualifications include:
A bachelor’s degree from an appropriately accredited institution
Five years of fundraising/promotion activities in a collegiate Athletics setting
Possession of a valid driver’s license is also required.
Qualifying degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions and conferred by the time of hire.License or Certification Required by Statute or Regulation :
n/aSpecial Instructions to Applicant :
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Candidates must also submit a cover letter, a curriculum vitae/resume, and a list of three references, including contact information, online.
Official transcript required within 30 days of employment.
East Carolina University seeks to create an environment that fosters the recruitment and retention of a more diverse student body, faculty, staff and administration. In order to promote the university’s diversity goal, the Athletics Department encourages applicants from women, minorities, and historically underrepresented groups.Additional Instructions to Applicant:
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. Additionally, applicants that possess the preferred education and experience must also possess the minimum education/experience, if applicable.Job Open Date :
02/11/2021Open Until Filled:
YesInitial Screening Begins :
02/25/2021Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting :
East Carolina University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and seeks to create an environment that fosters the recruitment and retention of a more diverse student body, faculty, staff and administration. We encourage qualified applicants from women, minorities, veterans, individuals with a disability, and historically underrepresented groups. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race/ethnicity, color, genetic information, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Individuals requesting accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) should contact the Department of Human Resources at (252) 737-1018 (Voice/TTY) or [email protected].Eligibility for Employment :
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. ECU participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.Office of Human Resources Contact Information :
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (252) 328-9847 or toll free at 1-866-489-1740 or send an email to [email protected] Our office is available to provide assistance Monday-Friday from 8:00-5:00 EST.