Manager, Undergraduate Enrollment & Advising
Job no: 507367
Position type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Grad & Professional Studies
Applications Open: Feb 11 2021
Applications Close: Open until filled
General Summary of Position:
This is a leadership position requiring an advanced, developmental, analytical, and proactive problem-solving approach to academic advising and overall student success for an online, non-traditional student population. The primary responsibilities include managing a team of academic advisors, ensuring compliance with institutional policies and providing an outstanding student experience. Advising a caseload of undergraduate online students on program requirements and registration issues, degree planning, monitoring student progress, and identifying and intervening with at-risk students. The position involves some oversight with the creation, implementation, and support of various activities and events including promoting student engagement and enrollment campaigns. The position also involves data collection and analysis to support student success.
Essential Job Duties:
Student Success Team Leader:
- Cultivate and support the vision for the student success unit
- Create a culture and an environment where people are inspired by and invested in the success of our students
- Demonstrate an openness and enthusiasm for implementing new ideas and methods
- Train and coach staff on advising methods and best practices for student engagement, case management and retention
- Monitor enrollment and retention campaigns using Salesforce
- Work with Asst. Dean to expand early alert systems for high risk students
- Retrieve and prepare data for analysis on key metrics including retention, graduation rates, time to graduation, student experience, etc.
- Work with Asst. Dean to develop an annual and semester based communication plan
- Assist with planning and implementation of initiatives to help build a stronger sense of community and promote healthy, productive relationships among students, faculty, staff, and alumni
- Assist with the development and execution of a student communication strategy, including listserv, web-based communication materials, and effective on-boarding materials related to co-curricular and student services for incoming students
- Create and maintain various informational materials, handbooks, websites, and other advising resources for faculty, staff, and students
- Build effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by sharing appropriate information and helping when needed
- Ensuring optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information
- Maintaining an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles
Managing of Academic Advising Team:
Advising for Special Student Populations:
Other Job Duties:
- Performs other related duties as assigned
The candidate will work one 11:30 to 8:00 p.m. shift per week and on all the other days, they will be working 8:30 to 5:00 p.m. with flexibility to work additional evenings and weekends as business needs dictate. This is an on-site position located at the UML campus. General business hours are Monday – Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- A Master’s degree in advising or counseling discipline or relevant area
- 2 years of experience leading and supervising academic, career or other related student support teams in an online higher education setting - Including experience with building student success teams and change management
- 5 years of experience in online higher education academic advising or other related role
- Extensive experience with Microsoft Word and Excel, CRM and academic student information system
- Must have the ability to work well under pressure and set priorities
- Outstanding interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent writing ability
- Demonstrated ability to perform in a fast-paced, high volume environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
This is a SEIU 888 Professional Union position, Grade P19.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.