Residence Hall Director (Temporary through 5/31/21)
RESIDENCE HALL DIRECTORCampus Title:
Residence Hall Director (Temporary through 5/31/21)School/Division:
Student Affairs, Division ofDepartment:
Residence Life and Housing OfficeStaff Sub-Type:
Staff & AdministrationSalary Level:
$1648 BiweeklyPosition Effort:
Temporary (enter End Date below)If Temporary, enter End Date::
The temporary Residence Hall Director (RHD) is a spring 2021 semester live-in position responsible for the overall administration of a coeducational residence community of 150-250 undergraduates. Our RHD’s are responsible for fostering an appreciation for diversity, equity, inclusion and cultural competency in the halls, staff supervision, student conduct, counseling/referral, programming, and general building administration.Major Responsibilities:
• Provide the overall administration of assigned residence hall including staff supervision, development, advising, counseling and referral, programming and general building administration
• Perform residence hall administrative tasks such as occupancy reports, incident/theft reports, damage assessments, and various daily reports and logs
• Promote positive living/learning environment, develop, and maintain concept of community in the residence hall
• Supervise student staff and hall council with regard to planning and implementation of quality programs in the hall and complete assessment paperwork
• Provide crisis management during various psychological, emotional, medical or other emergencies or incidents that occur in the hall
• Counsel and make appropriate and prompt referral of residents to appropriate campus resources in the areas of problem solving, conflict resolution, academic issues, vocational questions, and personal and/or disciplinary matters.
• Serve on standing and special committees with the department
• Actively engage in professional development opportunities in the area of residence life and housing.
• Residence hall coverage, which will require an obligation that includes various evening, overnight, weekend and occasional holiday responsibilities.
• Responsible for one departmental outside assignment per year in a support unit to residence life and housing.
• Ability to work various evening, overnight, weekend, and occasional holidays and be able to respond to emergency/crisis situations that may occur 24/7.
• Knowledge of residential life, operations and procedures, administrative and supervisory experiences, student development theory, counseling and conflict resolution, and general higher educational procedures are all critical to the effectiveness of this position.
• Skills essential to this position include: administration, organization, supervision, intervention, emergency response, verbal and written communication, public relations, decision making, advising, counseling, training in equity, inclusion, and cultural competency.
• Essential to this position is the ability to be flexible and adapt to an unusual and changing environment. Living at one’s job location can be very demanding.
Residence Hall Directors report directly to the Assistant and Associate Directors of Residence Life and Housing, and secondarily to the Director for Residence Life and Housing. Residence Hall Directors supervise a student staff that consists of resident assistants and an academic peer mentor.Required Qualifications:
-Previous residence life experience
-A Master’s degree
-One year of post baccalaureate residence life experience (graduate or professional)
-Demonstrated experience in developing diverse, inclusive, welcoming and global communities in a residence hall environment
-Experience addressing issues of bias, discrimination, and sexual assault with residential student populations
-Demonstrated level of cultural competency in working with diverse student populations
The State University of New York College at Cortland is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act (AA/EEO/ADA) employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.Posting Number:
S20039Review Start Date:
01/04/2021Open Until Filled:
YesQuick Link for Direct Access to Posting: