10018179 Librarian AD I - Reference & Instruction Librarian
Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsSchool/Department: Library Primary Location: Macon Position: Staff Job Type: Full Time Position Close Date: Until Filled Description:
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for providing reference, instruction and circulation services to students, faculty and staff at the Macon Campus.
- Provides library reference services in-person and electronically for faculty, staff, students and the general public; assists in researching print and electronic sources; and assists in acquiring information from external sources.
- Provides library instruction both in person and virtually to promote information literacy in all university disciplines; prepares and delivers presentations in physical and online classroom settings; demonstrates the use of library sources and techniques.
- Performs circulation desk duties; checks materials in and out; collects library fines and other fees; adds and edits student, faculty, staff and public user information to library records.
- Creates campus library signage and/or displays.
- Creates online content and/or subject guides.
- Serves, as assigned, as a discipline specific liaison librarian.
- Integrates into the campus community by planning and/or participating in campus events and activities
- Collaborates collegially with other librarians, faculty, and staff throughout the University and within the University System of Georgia.
- Collects and distributes statistical data.
- Assists with collection development.
- Represents the library on assigned committees and at university and community events.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION:
- Knowledge of current trends in library services.
- Knowledge of library operations and procedures.
- Knowledge of university policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of electronic information resources.
- Knowledge of collection development principles.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Skill in providing quality customer services.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS: The Assistant Director of Library Services at the appropriate campus directly supervises the Reference & Instruction Librarian(s) at the campus. The ADoLS assigns work related to library goals, objectives, and policies & procedures. The supervisor reviews work through various means, including but not limited to communications, conferences, reports, and observation of library activities.
GUIDELINES: Guidelines include US copyright law, Online Computer Library Center cataloging standards, American Library Association and Association of College and Research Libraries standards, and university and library policies and procedures. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK:
- The work consists of varied librarian duties. The variety of tasks to be performed contributes to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to provide library services to patrons. Success in this position results in the provision of quality library services to college students, faculty and staff.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, faculty, staff, students, community patrons, representatives of other libraries, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, or to provide services.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table or while intermittently sitting, standing or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY: This position may have functional supervision over student workers as assigned.
- Completion of a Master of Library Science (MLS, MIS, or MLIS) degree from an ALA accredited university.
- Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position, usually associated with the completion of an apprenticeship/internship or having had a similar position for one to two years.
- This position is non-exempt (bi-weekly paid).
- Salary grade 19.
TO APPLY: Application materials should be emailed as a Microsoft Word or Adobe.pdf attachment to: [email protected] with the subject line “10018179 Librarian AD I – Reference & Instruction Librarian 2.10.2021”. Application materials are to include a resume, an MGA Staff application; a letter of interest; and three professional references. Paper application materials will not be accepted.
Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates.
Staff Application - please complete and email with supporting documentsA Unit of the University System of GeorgiaEEO/AA/M/F/V/D