High School Counselor
Job location: Boca Raton
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-10
Apply now to join FAU on its race to excellence. For more information on everything FAU has to offer, please visit www.fau.edu/jobs. Position Summary:
FAU High School at Florida Atlantic University seeks scholars who are committed to supporting the learning needs of students from diverse backgrounds and to engaging communities underrepresented in higher education. Florida Atlantic University is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In building this environment, we strive to attract students, faculty and staff from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences. Florida Atlantic University embodies a culture of strategic and collaborative community engagement that results in mutual benefit to the institution and the diverse internal and external communities that it serves.
Florida Atlantic University is seeking a High School Counselor, Boca Raton, FL.
Summary of Responsibilities:
High School Academics, Early College Academics and Transitions, Progress Monitoring, Interventions and Support
- Provides direct services for students including, but not limited to, school counseling, individual and group academic, career, and personal/social short-term counseling, student success planning, graduation planning and monitoring, for students in high school on both the FAU High Boca and Jupiter campuses.
- Provides academic support regarding high school and dual enrollment transitions for both the FAU High School Boca and Jupiter campuses.
- Educates, oversees, and manages all aspects of student graduation requirements including but not limited to electronic, individualized graduation credit checks, graduation status reports and data tracking, graduation codes, etc.
- Works closely with school and district records specialists to ensure records are evaluated accurately and communicated to admitted FAU High School students (Boca and Jupiter campuses) and parents/guardians, FAU Honors College advisor, and FAU High staff.
- Leads the Student Support Team for high school, identifies students who need targeted academic support or intensive services, and coordinates with appropriate school counselors, school administration, university academic advisors and other school support staff as needed in developing student success plans.
- Leads, oversees and supports the college admissions post-secondary planning and application processes for students to undergraduate and graduate schools.
- Communicates and collaborates with appropriate school and university staff regarding student records, transfer of records, and reporting to ensure high school early college student records are accurate and updated prior to various student transcript submissions deadlines throughout the year for post-secondary planning.
- Serves as the high school counselor contact for ACT/SAT updates and processes, including communication with parents and students, and ordering and distributing waivers for eligible students.
- Serves as a member of the FAU High School Admissions Committee for both the Boca and Jupiter Campuses.
- Works collaboratively with other school counselors, mental health counselors, and academic and school advisors on both the K-9 campus and the university campuses for an aligned comprehensive school counseling program.
- Collaborates with other counselors, administrators, and records staff in developing schedules/course offerings for ninth grade students to ensure an academic foundation for high school graduation and early college/dual enrollment.
- Provides evidence-based brief counseling for students during times of transition, separation, heightened stress and critical change; and appropriately refers students to the social emotional counselor or mental health counselor.
- Provides indirect services on behalf of students including, but not limited to, referrals for additional assistance and consultation/collaboration with parents, teachers, administrators, and other key stakeholders to create learning environments that promote educational equity, access and success for every student.
- Aids in the development and implementation of a multi-tiered system of supports (MTSS) including, but not limited to, Response to Intervention (RtI), Social Emotional Learning (SEL), and School-Wide Positive Behavior Intervention and Support (PBIS).
Family Engagement and Support
- Supports and attends appropriate student and parent activities including, high school orientation sessions, student grade level workshops/meetings, high school interviewing process, parent coffee talks, etc.
- Consults, facilitates, and maintains communication with parents and administrators on student and parent academic and educational matters.
- Assists with and participates in student, parent and teacher conferences, meetings, and other individual or group events.
- Educates students and parent/guardians annually on relevant scholarship opportunities and the Florida Financial Aid Application.
District and University Collaboration and Support
- Oversees and manages relevant scholarship opportunities and the school scholarship bulletin as school district contact for the Bright Futures Scholarship, George Snow, Scholastic Achievement, etc.
- Advises, oversees, and supports student-athletes in ensuring NCAA eligibility information is accurate in the portal.
- Monitors, submits, and maintains all Bright Futures and NCAA data for the FAU Lab Schools district to ensure student eligibility is accurate.
- Serves as district Florida Virtual School contact, responsible for maintaining ninth through twelfth grade Florida Virtual School approvals, procedures, and processes.
- Manages and maintains academic and career resources Canvas pages and documentation on student community service hours.
- Collaborates with relevant FAU Departments including but not limited to University Advising Services, Counseling and Psychological Services, Financial Aid, and Admissions.
- Performs duties as assigned.
Certification in Guidance and Counseling or Counselor Education required.
Three years of experience in the field related to the title of the position. High school academic counseling experience required in Florida required.
Demonstrated ability to deliver, evaluate, and document comprehensive school counseling program interventions and supports that promote student academic achievement, social emotional development, and college/career readiness required.
Demonstrated ability in navigating the high school environment in preparing students for graduation and college and career plans required.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, attention to detail deadline-driven environment required.
Demonstrated ability of strong written, communication and presentation skills required.
Demonstrated knowledge of federal, state, and school policies, processes, and procedures pertaining to graduation and college and career preparation required.Salary:Commensurate with ExperienceCollege or Department:FAU High SchoolLocation:Boca RatonWork Days and Hours:N/AApplication Deadline: 2021-02-21-08:00Special Instructions to Applicant: This position is open until filled and may close without prior notice.
All applicants must apply electronically to the currently posted position on the Office of Human Resources' job website (https://fau.edu/jobs) by completing the required employment application for this recruitment and submitting the related documents.
Our application site permits the attachment of required/requested documentation. In addition to completing the online application, please upload the following: a cover letter, curriculum vitae, copy of certification, copies of official transcripts scanned into an electronic format.
Transcripts for faculty positions must be an official copy scanned into an electronic format and attached to the application. Degrees from outside the United States must be validated by an organization belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Service (NACES), with an indication of the documents the evaluation was prepared from (official transcripts, diplomas, dissertation abstracts). The evaluation should be scanned and electronically attached to the application.
An unofficial transcript may be used during the hiring process to assure that the prospective faculty member may be credentialed for the courses they are expected to teach. An official transcript sent directly from the institution is required for the Provost’s credential file prior to the first day of employment. Similarly, for degrees from outside the United States, the evaluation by an organization belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation (NACES), with an indication of the documents the evaluation was prepared from (official transcripts, diplomas, dissertation abstracts) is required for the Provost’s credential file prior to the first day of class.
The candidate selected for the position will be required to have fingerprinting done at the FAU Police Department and a background check done by the school. This position is subject to funding.
Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711