Clinical Lab Director (0569U) - 15394
Clinical Lab Director (0569U) - 15394 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
The Innovative Genomics Institute (IGI) is a partnership between the University of California, Berkeley and the University of California, San Francisco. Combining the fundamental research expertise and the biomedical talent at UCB and UCSF, the IGI focuses on unraveling the mechanisms underlying CRISPR-based genome editing and applying this technology to develop and deploy genome engineering to cure disease, ensure food security, and sustain the environment for current and future generations. To complement this work, the IGI puts special emphasis on education about the scientific and societal implications of genome engineering. These efforts encourage public engagement and help guide regulatory decision-making. The IGI endeavored to help the local community and the Bay Area monitor the spread of the pandemic and built a Clinical Lab with it own CLIA license apart from UHS to enable rapid growth and availability in testing. It is legal requirement that a General Supervisor/Lab Director be employed in a EUA Covid19 testing facility. This position must be legally filled by licensed personnel.
- Establishes and changes laboratory policies, processes, and procedures as they relate to current SARS-CoV-2 testing and future developments in that space.
- Balances the facility funds and authorizes all purchases with the IGI FA within the confines of the intended use of philanthropic and campus provided funding.
- Is the system administrator for the LockBox laboratory information system and directly programs the system and develops it as needed.
- Resolves deviations and incident reports when they arise.
- Monitors the quality control program to ensure all processes are followed including record documentation and validation of all lab results to CLIA CAP stringency.
- Ensures adherence to laws and regulations pertaining to laboratory inspection, safety, and licensure.
- Monitors and directs all API processes and inspections.
- Is point on project design for research and development for new assays for SARS-CoV-2 or future gene editing and NGS assays.
- Recommends and guides clinical validation of new workflows autonomously.
- Oversees the activities of the clinical lab scientists and support staff of the clinical lab.
- Works in the lab performing the clinical assays and reporting results to providers only when others are not available.
- Requires thorough knowledge of clinical laboratory operations and procedures and related lab information systems.
- Broad skills associated with managing clinical laboratory and performing clinical functions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; strong ability to work in a collaborative manner.
- Strong decision-making, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Must be able to establish priorities, timelines and delegate work assignments.
- Requires knowledge of electronic / medical records systems.
- Strong knowledge of laboratory quality assurance and quality control procedures.
- Strong knowledge of the principles and practices of management and supervision.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent work experience/training.
- Licenses Possession of Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) license issued by the California State Department of Health required.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Please include, as part of your application a brief (1-2 paragraph) statement on your contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in your professional experience.
Advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion are fundamental to our UC Berkeley Principles of Community, which states that “every member of the UC Berkeley community has a role in sustaining a safe, caring and humane environment in which these values can thrive.”
This is one year, full-time, 40-hours per week, Contract (temporary) position.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=15394&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency