Director of School of Music
Director of School of Music
Job ID: 221363
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country. KSU offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees to its more than 41,000 students. With 11 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the third-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties, entrepreneurial spirit, and Division I athletics draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. Ranked a top choice for students by U.S. News, Kennesaw State is a Carnegie-designated doctoral research institution (R2), placing it among an elite group of only 6 percent of U.S. colleges and universities with an R1 or R2 status.
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Our Marietta campus is located at 1100 South Marietta Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060.
Home to an accomplished music faculty and enthusiastic student body, the NASM-accredited School of Music is the oldest and most established unit within the College of the Arts. As an All-Steinway School with a reputation for excellence, the School increased enrollment by 12 percent since Fall 2019 to include 314 majors and 36 minors. Facilities include the Dr. Bobbie Bailey & Family Performance Center, an acoustically outstanding 624-seat concert hall, and the J.M. Wilson Annex, which features spacious faculty studios and state-of-the-art Wenger practice rooms.
KSU's dynamic leadership recognizes the potential for music and the arts to build bridges between our campus and the regional, national, and international communities. As part of metropolitan Atlanta's thriving arts community, the School of Music enjoys partnerships with organizations such as the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Atlanta Opera, Atlanta Ballet and prominent jazz venues. Our robust music education program enjoys close ties with the Cobb County School District and other metropolitan Atlanta school districts recognized nationally for their outstanding music programs.
Kennesaw State University is searching for a visionary leader and accomplished artist and/or scholar to serve as the twelve-month, full-time Director of the School of Music beginning July 1, 2021.
The Director will foster an inclusive, innovative, entrepreneurial, and collaborative environment that attracts, engages, and retains faculty, staff, and students of distinction. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, providing program oversight and advancement; supporting a transparent, shared-governance environment; managing and allocating resources and budgets; establishing and implementing the School's strategic plan; managing and developing faculty and staff; teaching (one course/year); recruitment; fundraising and working with external advisory boards; community engagement and outreach; leading the School's marketing and alumni relations; overseeing student development; effective communication; and overseeing program accreditation and assessment.
- Completion of an earned terminal degree in the field of music (D.M.A., Ph.D., M.F.A., Ed.D. or foreign equivalent)
- An established body of peer-reviewed scholarship and/or creative activity at the regional, national and/or international levels
- A record of excellence in teaching, service and scholarship, and/or creative activity commensurate with tenure and appointment to the rank of Professor
- Qualified candidates will demonstrate a record of innovative leadership, integrity, intellectual curiosity, compassion, and the ability to inspire others; a distinguished record of teaching, scholarship, creative activity, and service; advanced communication and administrative skills, experience and interest in fundraising, long-range planning and program advocacy, and budget management.
Required Documents to Attach
- Cover letter addressing qualifications in the areas outlined above
- Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for five references (postal and email addresses, and telephone numbers)
- Unofficial Transcripts (Official Transcripts Due Upon Hire)
- Philosophy of Leadership Statement
- Three complete examples of scholarship or creative activity (samples of musical performances or journal articles must include the entire, unedited work). Links to musical performances may be included and attached in a PDF
Apply Before Date
For full consideration, applications must be received by January 1, 2021. Position will remain open until filled.
For questions about this faculty opening, please contact Senior Associate Dean, Harrison Long, at [email protected].
For more information or questions about a faculty job posting, please contact Academic Affairs at [email protected]. For technical support, please call OneUSG Connect Support at 877-251-2644, or by email at [email protected].
Equal Employment Opportunity
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007. Participant ID: 61415
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=221363&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency