Assistant Professor of Acting
Assistant Professor of Acting
Job ID: 222329
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
A leader in innovative teaching and learning, Kennesaw State University is one of the 50 largest public institutions in the country. KSU offers more than 150 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral degrees to its more than 41,000 students. With 11 colleges on two metro Atlanta campuses, Kennesaw State is a member of the University System of Georgia and the third-largest university in the state. The university's vibrant campus culture, diverse population, strong global ties, entrepreneurial spirit, and Division I athletics draw students from throughout the region and from 92 countries across the globe. Ranked a top choice for students by U.S. News, Kennesaw State is a Carnegie-designated doctoral research institution (R2), placing it among an elite group of only 6 percent of U.S. colleges and universities with an R1 or R2 status.
Our Kennesaw campus is located at 1000 Chastain Road NW, Kennesaw, GA 30144. Our Marietta campus is located at 1100 South Marietta Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060.
The Department of Theatre & Performance Studies at Kennesaw State University, housed within the College of the Arts (COTA), offers a rigorous B.A. program that emphasizes both the artistry and scholarship of the creative process. The Acting Concentration is the largest concentration in our Department, offering a holistic approach to actor training and liberal arts education. The successful candidate will collaborate with Coordinator of the Acting Concentration to lead that concentration into the future. The Department of Theatre & Performance Studies at Kennesaw State University is committed to creating an equitable and inclusive educational community. All our faculty are expected to excel at teaching and mentoring students that are broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socio-economic status, gender, and sexuality.
Kennesaw State University is now accepting applications for a nine-month, tenure track Assistant Professor of Acting faculty position in the Department of Theatre and Performance Studies beginning August 2021.
- Teaching expectations include: 3-3 course load in area of specialization.
- This person will teach courses at all levels of the acting curriculum including Acting I, Contemporary Scene Study, and Acting Styles.
- The teaching load will include courses in Movement (e.g. Alexander Technique, Laban, Bartinieff, Lecoq, Yoga, Pilates, etc.) which could include Stage Combat or Physical Theatre (e.g. mask, mime, commedia, clowning).
- Depending on the candidate's additional areas of expertise, the teaching load may include courses in Voice and Speech, Dialects, and/or Acting for the Camera.
- All tenure-track faculty are expected to engage in service on Departmental, College, and University level committees. This may include duties in recruitment and season selection.
- Full-time faculty are expected to support the production season through the area of their expertise - this could be directing, performance coaching, design, dramaturgy, or another creative capacity; this may include mentorship of students in these capacities.
- All tenure-track faculty are expected to maintain an active program of scholarship and creative activity in addition to their other responsibilities. The Department of Theatre & Performance Studies at Kennesaw State University is committed to creating an equitable and inclusive educational community. All our faculty are expected to excel at teaching and mentoring students that are broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socio-economic status, gender, and sexuality.
- The Acting Concentration is the largest concentration in our Department, offering a holistic approach to actor training and liberal arts education. The successful candidate will collaborate with Coordinator of the Acting Concentration to lead that concentration into the future.
An earned MFA in Acting, or the foreign equivalent, is required.
The successful candidate must demonstrate:
- A proven record of superior teaching at the undergraduate level.
- A proven record of teaching introductory and advanced acting courses.
- A record of success teaching individuals from underrepresented groups in higher education.
- Professional experiences which have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to equity and inclusion in higher education.
- A record of or capacity for successful scholarship and creative activity.
- An established record of acting in the professional field.
Expertise in one or more of the following areas is preferred:
- Three or more years of experience teaching acting in an undergraduate setting
- Movement for Actor Intimacy Choreography and/or staging
- Stage Combat
- Physical theatre (Laban, Bartinieff, Lecoq, yoga, Pilates, Alexander Technique, etc)
- mask work
- commedia or clowning
- African American theatre
- Non-Western theatre
- Theatre for Social Change
Required Documents to Attach
- Cover Letter: in your Cover Letter, in addition to speaking to your qualifications, please describe how you would seek to contribute to a culturally diverse, equitable, and anti-racist community as an artist, scholar, and teacher.
- Contact Information for 5 References
- Teaching Philosophy
- Unofficial Transcripts (Official Transcripts Due Upon Hire)
Optional Documents to Attach
- Media Links (Audio, Video)
- Sample syllabi
- Teaching evaluations (Peer, Supervisor, or Student)
Apply Before Date
To guarantee consideration, applications must be received by February 1, 2021. Position will remain open until filled.
For questions about this faculty opening, please contact Amanda Wansa Morgan at [email protected].
For more information or questions about a faculty job posting, please contact Academic Affairs at [email protected]. For technical support, please call OneUSG Connect Support at 877-251-2644, or by email at [email protected].
Equal Employment Opportunity
Kennesaw State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is the policy of Kennesaw State University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or status as a protected Veteran. Kennesaw State University is a participant in the Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify) effective October 15, 2007. Participant ID: 61415
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=43000&JobOpeningId=222329&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency