Executive Director, IT Finance - 15369-1A
Updated: Feb 10, 2021
Location: UC Irvine Campus
Department: OIT VICE CHANCELLOR IT & DATA
Job Opening ID: 15369Reports To: Vice Chancellor, Information, Technology and Data, Working Title: Executive Director, IT FinanceDepartment: OIT Vice Chancellor IT & DataBargaining Unit: 99FLSA: ExemptPayroll Job Code: 000213Job Location: UCI Campus- IrvinePercent of Time: 100%Work Schedule: 8-5, M-FEmployee Class: Career Position Summary: The University of California, Irvine was founded in 1965 with a mission to catalyze the community and enhance lives through rigorous academics, cutting-edge research, and dedicated public service. Today, we draw on the unyielding spirit of our pioneering faculty, staff and students who arrived on campus with a dream to inspire change and generate new ideas. We believe that true progress is made when different perspectives come together to advance our understanding of the world around us. We enlighten our communities and point the way to a better future. The Office of Information Technology (OIT) is responsible for supporting the IT needs of UC Irvine faculty, students, and staff. Our mission is to provide information technology leadership, services, and innovative solutions to promote the research, education, and community service goals of the University. OIT Project Management Office provides leadership and coordination of large cross-functional projects. Also, develop and continually enhance project management guidelines and tools and educate project leaders throughout the university on utilizing project management best practices. The Office of the Vice Chancellor of Information, Technology and Data (OVCITD) is recruiting for an Executive Director, IT Finance. Under general direction of and reporting to the Vice Chancellor, Information, Technology and Data, this position leads the IT finance function and is a key business leader and partner for the University of California, Irvine’s enterprise IT functions, including the Office of Information Technology, College of Health Sciences IT Services and Health Information Systems. The role is responsible for oversight of financial performance, inclusive of planning, forecasting, and budgeting, management reporting and analysis, and oversight of new initiatives. This leadership role will act as a key business partner to IT senior leadership and will drive financial accountability across enterprise IT. This position will also act as a change agent taking responsibility for the financial and operational results of enterprise IT, plus Enterprise IT value delivery, ROI and spend optimization. The ideal candidate will bring experience, energy, and insight as they work within teams and across strategic technology project pipelines to ensure key financial considerations are well understood, clearly communicated, and closely monitored. Partnering with senior technology leadership, the candidate will bridge the gap from strategic intent to financial viability. Key responsibilities of this position include: • Financial planning and analysis, including setting metrics and financial targets, reporting on performance, and partnering with IT senior leadership to move the needles in the right direction.• Financial management, including budget management, variance reporting, and spend forecasts.• Financial leadership, including building internal talent on the finance team and financial competency across IT leadership, defining strategic financial goals.• Management accounting and analysis, including setting metrics and targets around enterprise IT staffing, procurement spend, and the effective use of capital funding. Compensation Range: Commensurate with Experience Department Website:http://www.oit.uci.edu; https://it.health.uci.edu/; https://cohs.uci.edu/ Required:
- A minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience across a broad range of functional areas, including financial planning and analysis, forecasting, modeling, and budgeting, financial reporting, accounting and controls, capital management and risk management.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing to a broad range of audiences.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively across the organization at all levels; ability to interact with diverse populations.
- Client services oriented, good listening, critical thinking, and analytical skills. Well organized with the ability to manage multiple initiatives and priorities.
- Significant experience with widely used software tools such as Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to network within a large organization and build trusted partnerships, influencing through insight and collaboration.
- Experience partnering with stakeholders on various department or unit issues to consult on and plan key operational business decisions.
- Ability to build insightful financial models coupled with the ability to guide others how to interpret the results.
- Experience establishing and optimizing reporting processes to ensure accurate and timely reporting.
- Experience engaging with and delivering presentations to senior leadership, facilitating decisions on key initiatives.
- Forward thinking and able to anticipate immediate and long-term implications of potential decisions.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, comfort with ambiguity and fluctuating deadlines.
- Track record of developing data-driven recommendations with sizeable impact on unit or department financial and/or operational performance against metrics.
- Experience serving as point of contact with senior leaders to resolve and advise on ambiguous and unstructured senior management requests, identifying future implications of analysis.
- Strong business & financial acumen including, tactical and critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and results oriented. Ability to identify dependencies across multiple initiatives.
- CPA or MBA strongly preferred.
- Professional certification preferred.
- Experience with transformation initiatives, preferably within enterprise IT.