Administrative Assistant, Creative Writing Department
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-10
The College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is accepting applications for a highly qualified Administrative Assistant in the Creative Writing Department. The incumbent will serve as the major administrative support to Commonwealth Professor of English Rita Dove, who, as a former U.S. poet laureate as well as a former poet laureate of the Commonwealth of Virginia and a Pulitzer Prize winner, has one of the highest public profiles at the University of Virginia.
The Administrative Assistant will be responsible for assisting Ms. Dove with her daily duties as a creative writing teacher in the Department of English, as a professor in the College of Arts & Sciences often representing the University of Virginia inside and outside the Academical Village. Responsibilities will also include assisting with Ms. Dove's professional ventures as a writer and sought-after lecturer; activities that further on a national and international level both her academic and literary reputation as well as the standing of the University of Virginia as a major American institution of higher learning.
- Provide general, clerical coordination to support office operations.
- Organizing and managing appearances, travel, schedule, incoming and outgoing mail, telephone, and correspondence.
- Review and answer correspondence, as well as screen callers and visitors, which may include confidential matters.
- Occasional taking of dictation, draft letters, transcribe manuscripts, organize and cross-reference correspondence and books.
- Maintain electronic files and produce reports.
- Fulfilling requests related to communicating and working with both undergraduate and MFA student’s; navigating SIS.
- Compiling reports for the English Department and Creative Writing program chairs as well as the upper administration.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
- A High School Diploma with at least one year of related professional experience.
- Strong writing, editing skills, excellent grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- Excellent attention to detail, organization, and follow-up skills
- Can work under deadlines, manage multiple priorities, and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Track record of demonstrating a high degree of initiative and flexibility.
- The ability to work independently with little oversight to prepare and compose correspondence; and create and maintain electronic files and records.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside of the University.
- Experience managing websites and social media.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel, and Access is required.
- Bachelor's Degree in English, Creative Writing, Literature or related field.
- Experience in administrative support in higher education.
- Experience with UVA HR, Finance and Admin systems: Integrated System, UBI, ExpenseUVA, SIS, Workday, Zoom, UVA Box, Qualtrics, and Collab.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
***Please note ALL REQUESTED documents MUST be uploaded in the cv/resume box and you can combine documents into one PDF.***
***Applications that do not contain all the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
Apply online at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs: search for posting #R0021887 (or through Workday for internal applicants), complete the application, and attach the following:
- Cover letter - addressing why you are interested in this position and how your experience has prepared you for this position.
- Contact information for 3 references
For questions about the application process, please contact Nicole Robinson, Faculty Search Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check at time of offer per University Policy.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.